A pile of painters’ rags in the garage of a home under construction on Elliot Road went up in flames Tuesday evening in Baton Rouge.

A neighbor spotted the glow from the flames shortly after 8 p.m. at the unoccupied structure at 8585 Elliot Road, said Eldon Ledoux, spokesman for the St. George Fire Department.

Firefighters extinguished the blaze within 15 minutes of arriving, Ledoux said.

“A very alert neighbor making an early report of a possible fire and quick response by St. George firefighters averted what could have been a major or total loss,” Ledoux said. “As it is, fire damage was contained to the garage.”

Painters were working in the garage earlier Tuesday, Ledoux said, and solvent-soaked rags appear to have combusted, touching off the fire that spread through the garage.