BR man arrested in shooting incident
A Baton Rouge man was arrested Wednesday, accused of shooting at two men in a March 23 argument over a woman at Club Marecos.
One of the shots hit a man in the ankle while other shots pierced a vehicle, according to the arrest warrant.
The incident began several hours earlier inside the club at 5035 Plank Road when the suspect, Christopher Rayford, 33, and one of the victims began arguing about Rayford’s girlfriend and Rayford said he was going to shoot someone, the warrant says.
Cooler heads prevailed and nothing happened until everyone left the club. That’s when Rayford drove to where the two victims were, challenged them to a fight, then pulled out the gun, the warrant says.
Rayford, 5074 Sumrall Drive, was booked into Parish Prison on counts of attempted second-degree murder and illegal use of a weapon.
BR man booked in molestation of juvenile
Sheriff’s deputies arrested a man late Monday accused of molesting a 7-year-old girl outside his apartment earlier that day.
The victim told deputies she and a friend were walking in the common area of an apartment complex when they walked by Roger Lane Deerman, 50, and his friends, the affidavit of probable cause says.
Deerman asked the girl if she could do a handstand while wearing a dress, the affidavit says. She did and while she was upsidedown, he touched her inappropriately.
Deerman denied the allegations, saying he would “never do that to a kid,” the affidavit says.
Deerman, 8456 Leake Avenue, Apt. A, was booked into Parish Prison on counts of molestation of a juvenile, sexual battery and indecent behavior with a juvenile.
Woman booked on misrepresentation
In an apparent attempt to evade arrest, a Prairieville woman on probation is accused of trying to pass herself off as her sister when sheriff’s deputies questioned her about a shoplifting incident.
Porsche Michelle Bassett, 24, was booked Monday into East Baton Rouge Parish Prison on Monday on counts of misrepresentation during issuance of a misdemeanor summons, theft of goods and resisting an officer.
According to the arrest warrant, loss prevention officers at the Wal-Mart at 9350 Cortana Place at 5:44 p.m. on March 14 noticed a woman putting items in her purse, then walking out of the store without paying for the items. They escorted her back into the store, where deputies questioned her.
The woman, later identified as Bassett, 15288 Roy Rogers Road, gave deputies her sister’s driver’s license and since they were of similar height, weight, age and facial features, the deputy issued a misdemeanor summons to Bassett under her sister’s name, the warrant says.
Bassett’s sister later called deputies to alert them of the fraud and provided Bassett’s name and pertinent information, the warrant says. The sister told them the arrest could mean Bassett might face revocation of her probation.
Authorities book six on suspicion of DWI
Authorities arrested at least six people suspected of driving while intoxicated in East Baton Rouge Parish and booked them into Parish Prison between 2:30 p.m. Monday and 2:30 p.m. Wednesday, booking records show.
Those booked and the counts against them:
- Trent Anderson, 18, 1220 E. Dawn Street, Gonzales, first-offense DWI, failure to report an accident, failure to maintain control, motor vehicle insurance required or expired, driver’s license not on person, possession of alcoholic beverage in vehicle, expired motor vehicle inspection, careless operation and failure to change driver’s license address.
- Jason Ashford, 37, 9815 Chanadia Drive, Baton Rouge, first-offense DWI, simple highway obstruction, reckless operation, resisting an officer, open container violation and driver’s license suspended/revoked.
- Timothy Dupuy, 57, 17539 Barnett Road, Zachary, first-offense DWI, public intimidation, resisting an officer and threatening a public official.
- Bobby Keys Jr., 22, 11145 E. Riveroaks Drive, Baton Rouge, first-offense DWI, careless operation of vehicle and failure to maintain control.
- Nicole Lacombe, 18, 34112 Fountain View Drive, Walker, first-offense DWI, driving over the median and reckless operation.
- Katrina Rogers, 28, 5821 E. Grand Court, Baton Rouge, first-offense DWI, resisting an officer and careless operation.
Compiled from staff reports. To talk to a crime reporter at The Advocate, call (225) 388-0369.