A child playing with matches Sunday evening sparked a fire that destroyed a house on Gore Road, Baton Rouge firefighters said.

Heavy smoke and flames were pouring from the home when fire crews arrived at 2288 Gore Road about 5:58 p.m., said Curt Monte, a Baton Rouge Fire Department spokesman.

Firefighters had the blaze under control by 6:34 p.m. but were unable to save the $75,000 house, Monte said.

The youngster who started the blaze will join the Junior Fire Setters Program, an initiative to teach young children the danger of fire, Monte said.