Update, 12:50 p.m. Wednesday

The fire on top of LSU's Patrick F. Taylor Hall Tuesday evening was isolated to a 5,600 square foot area on the roof of a mechanical penthouse, the construction company handling renovations to the building said.

The fire, which Baton Rouge Fire Department officials say was started by smoldering roofing tar, caused minimal smoke and water damage to the mechanical penthouse and apparently did not damage any of the equipment inside the structure, the Lemoine Company said in a statement Wednesday.

"There was no disruption of classes, research or administrative work and the State Fire Marshal has given college faculty and staff the all clear to resume operations today," the company said.

No workers or other staff were present in the building at the time of the fire, which broke out around 8 p.m. in the engineering building, and there is no damage to offices or classrooms and did not affect other areas that are currently under construction, the company said.

The "minimal damages" to the engineering building, which is currently undergoing extensive renovations, "will have no impact on Lemoine's construction schedule," the company said. The first phase of construction remains on-schedule for completion by July.

Update, 6:45 a.m. Wednesday:

The fire at LSU’s Patrick F. Taylor Hall Tuesday night was caused by hot tar and asphalt materials used to install the roof of the building, Baton Rouge Fire Department spokesman Curt Monte said in a news release.

The roof was being installed earlier in the day, and it’s believed those materials smoldered until the roof caught fire, Monte said.

The fire was contained to the exterior of the roof. It was under control by 9:21 p.m.

Original story:

LSU’s engineering building caught fire Tuesday evening, sending smoke billowing from the roof.

Baton Rouge firefighters brought the blaze on top of Patrick F. Taylor Hall under control shortly after 9 p.m. Tuesday, LSU spokesman Ernie Ballard said.

The fire in the building, which is currently undergoing extensive renovations, was contained to the building’s roof and did not spread to the interior, said Baton Rouge Fire Department spokesman Curt Monte.

Workers “actually just put the roof on today,” Monte said late Tuesday. Preliminary reports indicate the fire might be linked to roofing tar applied to the building earlier in the day, he said.

No one was in the building at the time of the fire, Ballard said.

Monte said no firefighters were injured.

Patrick F. Taylor Hall, home of the university’s engineering department, is in the midst of a massive renovation and expansion project. The Daily Reveille reported in September that the project, budgeted to cost $112 million, is the most expensive in the university’s history and will make the building the largest on campus at 462,000 square feet.

According to The Daily Reveille, the building is scheduled to partially reopen by July 2016 and is slated for completion by the end of 2017.

Ballard said Tuesday night that it wasn’t yet clear how extensive the damage to the building is or whether the fire would cause significant delays to the project.