A child who was sticking paper into a space heater ended up sparking a fire that caused $25,000 in damage to a home Tuesday afternoon, according to the Baton Rouge Fire Department.

Once the paper caught fire at around 12:30 p.m. Tuesday, flames spread through the bedroom and kitchen at 2609 Lobelia Ave., said Curt Monte, a BRFD spokesman.

The child and another family member, the only ones home, escaped the house unharmed, and firefighters had the flames out less than 20 minutes later, Monte said.

Space heaters should be placed three feet away from any flammable object at all times, and shouldn’t be used in a room where children or animals are playing, Monte added.