UPDATE, 9:30 a.m. Monday: Frank Garcia, the second man arrested in the slayings last month of a Baton Rouge couple, waived extradition Monday morning and is expected to be transported from Florida to Louisiana in the coming days, an official said.

Kristi Grimm, a spokeswoman for the Broward County, Florida State's Attorney said extradition arrangements are being made for Garcia and his co-defendant Ernesto Alonso, both of whom were arrested in Hollywood, Florida and are being held in a Ft. Lauderdale jail.

Original story:

Ernesto Alonso, one of the men arrested in the double murder of a married couple in Baton Rouge in October, does not plan to continue to fight extradition to Louisiana and likely will be transported from Florida, where he’s being held, sometime in the next two weeks.

Glenn Mitchell, an attorney for Alonso, said Friday he does not intend to file a writ of habeas corpus that would contest his client’s extradition. The deadline to file a writ ended at close of business Friday, said Kristi Grimm, a spokeswoman for the Broward County, Florida, State Attorney’s Office. That means Alonso, who had initially resisted extradition, is one step closer to being flown back to Louisiana to face prosecution.

Alonso, 42, is being held at the Broward County Jail in Fort Lauderdale, Florida. He and Frank Garcia, 48, a man police say is an accomplice, were arrested in Hollywood, Florida, after a vehicle connected to the crime was found outside Garcia’s residence there.

Mitchell said the only process that would possibly delay Alonso’s extradition is if a judge held a hearing on the case.

A memo from the Broward County Sheriff’s Office extradition unit sent to the Baton Rouge Police Department on Wednesday says Alonso is “ready for immediate pick up on your governor’s warrant.”

Gov. Bobby Jindal, Secretary of State Tom Schedler and Attorney General Buddy Caldwell signed a warrant earlier this month to clear the way for authorities to move Alonso. A Broward County judge signed an order Nov. 5 authorizing extradition.

East Baton Rouge Parish District Attorney Hillar C. Moore III said authorities are arranging to transport Alonso using a special response team for tightened security and likely will fly him to Baton Rouge in the next two weeks.

Extradition proceedings are just beginning for Garcia, Moore said. A hearing will be held in his case Monday, Grimm said.

Alonso and Garcia both face two counts each of first-degree murder and second-degree kidnapping in the slayings of Denis “Bubbie” Duplantier, 71, and Suzanne “Suzy” Duplantier, 70. The pair were discovered strangled in their truck, which was found abandoned at a Hammond gas station Oct. 19. A safe inside their house on Highland Road in Baton Rouge was found open, with cash missing. Alonso lived on the Duplantiers’ property and was believed to be a landscaper for the couple. Police say Garcia is thought to be of family relation to Alonso.

Follow Maya Lau on Twitter, @mayalau.