Woman arrested in beating of son, 8
A woman accused in the beating of her 8-year-old son was arrested Thursday.
Kimberly Selders, 28, 9889 Hooper Road, was booked into Parish Prison with principal to cruelty to a juvenile, East Baton Rouge Parish Prison records show.
According to an affidavit warrant, school officials called the state Office of Juvenile Services on April 1 after the victim complained of leg pain, and nurses saw a black eye as well as bruises on the boy’s abdomen, back and buttocks.
Selders said the boy was whipped by her live-in boyfriend the week before, the affidavit states, and told detectives she did nothing to stop her boyfriend from whipping the victim.
Police investigating Foster Drive shooting
Police are investigating the Thursday night shooting of a man in the 3800 block of North Foster Drive near Linden Street.
Police were called out to the LSU Earl K. Long Medical Center emergency room at 10:22 p.m. to investigate a report of a victim who had been shot being dropped off by a private vehicle, according to a Baton Rouge Police Department news release.
The victim, who is in stable condition, had moderate injuries, according to the release.
Anyone with information about the shooting is asked to call police at (225) 389-4869 or Crime Stoppers at (225) 344-7867.
Man, 19, booked in sex with minor
Sheriff’s deputies Thursday arrested a 19-year-old man accused of having sex with a 15-year-old girl more than 20 times between May 4, 2011, and May 4, 2012.
Deputies booked Jamel Markey Watson, 731 N. 31st St., Baton Rouge, into Parish Prison on one count each of sexual battery and contributing to the delinquency of a juvenile, according to an affidavit warrant.
The two met on an online social media website and the first time they had sex, Watson was 17 and the girl was 14, the warrant says.
On Dec. 11, the girl gave birth to a child that Watson “possibly fathered,” the warrant says.
Arrest made April 4 in armed robbery
A Baton Rouge man accused of trying to rob a man early April 4, then firing three shots at the man as he fled, has been arrested.
Baton Rouge police booked Kevon Keith Carter, 21, 1240 N. 39th St., into Parish Prison on one count each of attempted first-degree murder and armed robbery, according to an affidavit warrant.
Carter and an unknown accomplice, armed with handguns, approached a car the victim was in and forced him out of it, the affidavit says. Information on where the incident took place was blacked out of the affidavit released by police.
The warrant says the victim pushed Carter and was running away when he heard three shots and saw Carter chasing him. The victim ultimately was able to take the gun away from Carter in a struggle in which both fell to the pavement of the street, according to the warrant.
Suspects in break-ins arrested in Virginia
Two people accused of breaking into nearly four dozen vehicles and stealing inspection stickers were arrested in Duffield, Va., and have been returned to Baton Rouge, a police spokesman said Friday.
Scott Tankersley, 39, 34298 Cane Market Rd., Walker, and Lois Fike, 48, 18695, Bayside Dr., Port Vinson, were booked into East Baton Rouge Parish Prison on multiple counts of simple burglary, Cpl. L’Jean McKneely said.
The vehicle burglaries occurred at Royal Nissan, 9325 Airline Highway, McKneely said.
McKneely said Tankersley was booked by authorities in the Scotts County Sheriff’s Department for drunken driving. He said authorities arrested Fike when she appeared at Tankersley’s court hearing late last month.
Authorities arrest 13 on suspicion of DWI
Authorities arrested at least 13 people suspected of driving while intoxicated in East Baton Rouge Parish and booked them into Parish Prison between 2:30 p.m. Thursday and 2:30 p.m. Friday, booking records show.
Those booked and the counts against them:
- Dalton Ashworth, 25, 15633 Summerwood Ave., Baton Rouge, third-offense DWI, hit-and-run, driver’s license required and failure to maintain control/careless operation.
- Kristy Gonzales, 46, 13702 Calcasieu Ave., Baton Rouge, first-offense DWI and license plate light required.
- Carl Hinkle, 20, 2842 Fairfields Ave., Baton Rouge, first-offense DWI, reckless operation of a vehicle and driver’s license suspended/revoked.
- Lauren Lasiter, 36, 10603 Ashbrook Drive, Baton Rouge, first-offense DWI, battery of a police officer, license plate required, careless driving and following too close.
- Kelvin Spears, 34, 425 Cypress St., Baton Rouge, first-offense DWI, driver’s license not in possession and reckless operation of a vehicle.
- Ryan Stockstill, 22, 23433 Chuck Wagon Drive, Zachary, first-offense DWI and reckless operation of a vehicle.
- Ora Turner, 50, 8701 Port Hudson-Pride Road, Zachary, second-offense DWI and drinking in a motor vehicle.
- Troy Turner, 45, 2154 Brock Place, Baton Rouge, first-offense DWI and driver’s license expired.
- Halley Venn, 22, 12709 Teakwood Drive, Baker, second-offense DWI, reckless operation of a vehicle and operating a vehicle while driver’s license suspended for prior offense.
- Victor Stanley, 24, 5107 Harding St., Baker, first-offense DWI and careless driving.
- Deyondra White, 27, 1331 N. 29th St., Baton Rouge, first-offense DWI, possession of alcohol in vehicle and sale/possession/distribution of legend drug.
- Kevin Williams, 25, 1986 Gore Road, Baton Rouge, first-offense DWI, possession of drug paraphernalia, possession of marijuana and driver’s license suspended/revoked.
- Johnny Young, 33, 3139 Addison St., Baton Rouge, first-offense DWI, reckless operation of a vehicle and drinking in a motor vehicle.
Compiled from staff reports. To talk to a crime reporter at The Advocate, call (225) 388-0369.