Transformer fire behind Matherne’s market on Bluebonnet put out _lowres

Advocate staff photo by TRAVIS SPRADLING -- St. George Fire Dept. Firefighter Chase Cothern carries away a fire hose, as Entergy personnel work behind him evaluating a fallen transformer that caught fire, knocking out electrical power at Mathern's grocery store, and the other businesses in the Bluebonnet Village Shopping Center at Bluebonnet and Perkins Road, Friday around the noon hour. Observers at the scene did not know why the transformer pole fell.

Firefighters extinguished a fire that started behind Matherne’s Market at the corner of Perkins Road and Bluebonnet Boulevard late Friday morning.

The fire was reported at 11:29 a.m. and when firefighters got to the scene minutes late they found a downed power pole and three transformers burning behind the building, the St. George Fire Department repoted.

Once Entergy disconnected power to the building, firefighters were able to put out the fire within 10 minutes, the fire department reported.

No injuries were reported and Matherne’s Market also was not damaged, the fire department reported, but power has yet to be restored to be restored to businesses in the immediate area.