Police: BR woman stole from elderly friend
Baton Rouge police on Thursday arrested a woman accused of stealing more than $30,000 from an elderly friend of hers in a check-forging scheme.
Police booked Joyce Wheelock Roby, 53, of 4544 Linstrom Drive, Baton Rouge, into Parish Prison on a total of 46 counts that included forgery, bank fraud, felony theft and theft of assets from an aged or disabled person, booking records show.
Roby is accused of stealing the money from an 81-year-old woman, a friend of hers who she sometimes did chores for, said Cpl. L’Jean McKneely, a Baton Rouge police spokesman.
Roby allegedly stole checks from her friend, forged her friend’s signature, made them payable to herself, then cashed them, according to a warrant for Roby’s arrest.
Banking records show that Roby cashed 14 fraudulent checks worth $30,227 between August and February, the warrant says.
Authorities arrest seven on suspicion of DWI
Authorities arrested at least seven people suspected of driving while intoxicated in East Baton Rouge Parish and booked them into Parish Prison between 2:30 p.m. Thursday and 2:30 p.m. Friday, booking records show.
Those booked and the counts against them:
- Archie Brown, 42, 206 W. Roosevelt St., Baton Rouge, first-offense DWI, improper lane usage and driver’s license required.
- Brandon Early, 30, 900 Stanford Ave., Baton Rouge, first-offense DWI, reckless operation, operating a vehicle while license under suspension for a prior offense and speeding.
- Patrick Foreman, 21, 5609 Arialo Drive, Baton Rouge, first-offense DWI, improper lane usage, speeding and reckless operation.
- Matthew Papa, 23, 5921 Fleetwood Drive, Baton Rouge, first-offense DWI, improper lane usage and disobeying a red light.
- Yasser Salem, 26, 3135 Highland Road, Baton Rouge, first-offense DWI, failure to obey a stop or yield sign and possession of marijuana.
- Marvin Turner, 51, 38117 Henry Road, Baton Rouge, first-offense DWI and disobeying a red light.
- Chaddrick Williams, 29, 11574 Troy St., Baton Rouge, first-offense DWI, careless operation and a seat belt violation.
Compiled from staff reports. To talk to a crime reporter at The Advocate, call (225) 388-0369.