A fire at an apartment at 4253 Janet Drive Saturday night was caused when grease being used to deep fry food in the kitchen ignited, the Baton Rouge Fire Department reported.

Cut Monte, a spokesman for the Fire Department, said residents reported that they were frying some food shortly before 7:20 p.m. and had left the kitchen for a moment and found it on fire when they returned.

The kitchen was engulfed in flames when fire fighters arrived at 7:24 p.m., Monte said. The fire was contained to the kitchen but the rest of the apartment received heavy smoke damage, he said.

The building housed five apartments in all, but Monte said the damage was contained to the unit where the kitchen caught figure. The Red Cross was notified to assist the residents of the apartment, he said.

Damage was estimated at $50,000 to the building and $10,000 to the contents.