An unattended space heater sat too close to furniture, sparking a fire Thursday that spread from the living room to the front porch of a house at 2526 Madison Ave. in Baton Rouge, firefighters said.

“Space heaters should never be left unattended,” Baton Rouge Fire Department spokesman Curt Monte said in an email. “Heaters should be placed at least three feet away from anything that will burn.”

The fire department deployed four pumper trucks, one ladder truck and two support vehicles. The first responders arrived on scene at 12:01 p.m. and the fire was under control at 12:13 p.m., Monte said.

“The fire was contained to the front of the home,” he said, but “The rest of the home received heavy smoke and heat damage.”

No one was home when the fire started, he said.

Firefighters estimate damage at $35,000 — $20,000 for the building and $15,000 for contents.