Man booked in assault on pregnant woman
An anonymous tip led Baton Rouge police on Sunday to a 27-year-old man accused of assaulting a pregnant woman on April 9 and to the woman accused of hiding him in her home.
Police booked Edward T. Thompson, 1214 N. 37th St., Baton Rouge, into Parish Prison on counts of carjacking, attempted first-degree feticide, second-degree robbery and domestic abuse battery.
Thompson became irate with the victim over a cellphone on April 9 and punched her repeatedly in the head, causing her to fall out of the vehicle, his arrest warrant says.
He got out of the car and kicked the woman, who was three months pregnant, before grabbing the phone, stealing her money and jumping back in the car and driving off, the warrant says.
On Sunday, police received a tip that Thompson was at 1013 N. 44th St., and when they asked Lakota Edwards, 20, if he was inside the house, she repeatedly denied he was there, the affidavit of probable cause says.
She agreed to let them search the home, and they found Thompson hiding inside the attic, the affidavit says.
Police arrested Edwards, 1013 N. 44th St., and booked her into Parish Prison on counts of resisting an officer and accessory after the fact of attempted first-degree feticide, second-degree robbery, carjacking and domestic abuse battery.
Police seek suspect in Dollar General holdup
Baton Rouge police are searching for the man who robbed a Dollar General store on Plank Road on Monday afternoon, a police spokesman said.
Cpl. Don Coppola Jr., a police spokesman, said the robber walked into the store at 4017 Plank Road at 1:50 p.m. and walked around like he was going to buy something.
When he walked up to the register, he showed the cashier a handgun, snatched money from the register and grabbed some items from the store before running out, Coppola said.
The robber is described as a black man standing 5 feet 9 inches to 6 feet tall, and weighing between 150 and 160 pounds. He wore a blue jacket, khaki shorts and brown shoes, Coppola said.
Anyone with information on the robbery is asked to contact Baton Rouge police at (225) 389-3845 or Crime Stoppers at (225) 344-7867.
Authorities book six on suspicion of DWI
Authorities arrested at least six people suspected of driving while intoxicated in East Baton Rouge Parish and booked them into Parish Prison between 2:30 p.m. Saturday and 2:30 p.m. Monday, booking records show.
Those booked and the counts against them:
- Francisco Barrera, 28, 8181 Jefferson Park Drive, Baton Rouge, first-offense DWI, reckless operation, possession of alcoholic beverage in a vehicle and driver’s license required.
- Kenneth Druel, 36, 52380 Livingston St., Plaquemine, second-offense DWI, driving with suspended license and careless operation.
- Curtis Lofton, 25, 26555 Bobby Gill Road, Denham Springs, first-offense DWI, possession/distribution/manufacturing of Schedule II drugs, possession of drug paraphernalia and reckless operation.
- Raymond Matte, 50, 6322 Feather Nest Lane, Baton Rouge, first-offense DWI and hit-and-run.
- Devin Penalber, 24, 1829 Tulip St., Baton Rouge, first-offense DWI, failure to change driver’s license address and failure to maintain control.
- Katy Sanders, 27, 13309 Abraham Drive, Baton Rouge, first-offense DWI, driver’s license required, careless operation and insurance required.
Compiled from staff reports. To talk to a crime reporter at The Advocate, call (225) 388-0369.