A storage room fire at a downtown business early Saturday forced firefighters to evacuate about 100 patrons from a bar next door, according to a news release.
There were no injuries, Baton Rouge Fire Department spokesman Curt Monte said in the release.
Firefighters responded to a fire alarm at MAPP Construction, 344 Third St., about 1:20 a.m., Monte’s release says.
The M Bar, 350 Third St., is next door to MAPP and was full of people when firefighters arrived, the release says.
Firefighters evacuated both buildings, then entered a common hallway in the back of the two companies. They found and doused a fire in a storage room there, the release says.
The fire did not spread beyond the storage room, the release says. However, both businesses received some smoke and water damage.
The fire caused about $30,000 in damage, the release says. Firefighters do not know what sparked the blaze, but foul play is not suspected. An investigation is under way.
Man, 52, arrested in sexual battery
Deputies arrested a 52-year-old man Saturday accused of alleged sexual battery of a 25-year-old woman, according to an affidavit of probable cause prepared by the East Baton Rouge Parish Sheriff’s Office.
Teryl Chaney, 8235 Greenwell Springs Road, Apt. 48, was booked into Parish Prison on one count of sexual battery.
The incident occurred Friday at a house in the 3000 block of North Stevendale Road, the affidavit says.
Authorities arrest 10 on suspicion of DWI
Authorities arrested at least 10 people suspected of driving while intoxicated in East Baton Rouge Parish — including a man accused of a fourth-offense DWI — and booked them into Parish Prison between 2:30 p.m. Friday and 2:30 p.m. Saturday, booking records show.
Those booked and the counts against them:
• Stanley Bercegeay, 47, 893 McKnight, Clinton, first-offense DWI, improper lane usage, reckless operation of a vehicle and driver’s license not in possession.
• William Conlin, 24, 3450 Nicholson Drive, first-offense DWI, reckless operation of a vehicle and improper lane usage.
• Justin Durlewanger, 30, 611 Mouton Drive, first-offense DWI, reckless operation of a vehicle and improper lane usage.
• Delton Guidry, 47, 2024 Beglis Parkway, Sulphur, first-offense DWI, driver’s license not in possession, improper lane usage and reckless operation of a vehicle.
• Demetric McNabb, 32, 5116 Lennox St., Zachary, second-offense DWI, open container violation and speeding.
• Ravl Mendoza, 22, 746 Monet Drive, first-offense DWI, driver’s license required, failure to maintain control and possession of alcohol in a vehicle.
• Kayla Sanford, 20, 5236 Brightside Lane, first-offense DWI, disobeying a red light and reckless operation of a vehicle.
• Jonathan Stallcup, 23, 3278 Ivanhoe St., first-offense DWI, reckless operation of a vehicle and improper lane usage.
• Taylor Thornton, 25, 57 Rosedown Drive, Destrehan, fourth-offense DWI, failure to obey a traffic control device, reckless operation of a vehicle and driver’s license suspended or revoked.
• Alberto Villegas, 36, 1667 Irish Hill, Biloxi, Miss., second-offense DWI, driver’s license required, possession of alcohol in a vehicle and improper lane usage.
Compiled from staff reports. To talk to a crime reporter at The Advocate, call (225) 388-0369.