CROWLEY - A fire early Sunday morning claimed the life of two children, State Fire Marshal H. "Butch" Browning said in a news release.
Crowley firefighters called to 210 West 8th St., at 3:43 a.m. found a wood frame home in flames.
Tah' Jay Robinson, 4, was transported to American Legion Hospital where she later died, Browning said.
Micah Johnnie, 2, was pronounced dead at the scene, he said.
Four other people escaped the home before the fire department arrived.
The State Fire Marshal's Office, Crowley Police Department and the Acadia Parish Sheriff's Office are investigating the fire, Browning said.
Investigators have determined that the fire started in the master bedroom and quickly moved into adjacent rooms, he said. Investigators are still trying to determine whether the fire was an accident, Browning said.
The Fire Marshal's Office also dispatched one of its police canine units to investigate the scene.
There was one battery-operated smoke detector in the home, but investigators do not believe the battery was working.
"Our deepest sorrow goes out to the families of these young children lost this morning," Browning said. "We will work hard for them to get the facts of this fire's cause. I plead with everyone to please ensure you have working smoke alarms in your home."