Amite man arrested in carjacking after chase
An Amite man accused of carjacking led police on a vehicle and foot chase through Mid-City streets early Friday after they tried to pull him over on Florida Boulevard.
One officer who heard the report of the carjacking saw a vehicle matching the description of the stolen 2009 Chevrolet Impala driving down North 22nd Street and tried to pull the car over, an affidavit of probable cause says.
The driver sped off, running more than five stop signs and eventually running off the road, the affidavit says. Another officer found the car on Seneca Street and saw a man later identified as Dean Vanberge, 28, running away from the stolen car.
Vanberge jumped an eight foot tall chain link fence surrounding the ExxonMobil building on Chippewa Street and hid in a van before police dogs found him, the affidavit says.
He refused to say anything about the stolen car, the affidavit says. The victim told police he was giving Vanberge a ride to the store when Vanberge pulled a gun and demanded his belongings.
Vanberge, 62524 La. 1054, was booked into Parish Prison on counts of carjacking, armed robbery, aggravated flight from an officer, unauthorized entry of a business, resisting an officer and felon in possession of a firearm.
15 people booked on suspicion of DWI in EBR
Authorities arrested at least 15 people suspected of driving while intoxicated in East Baton Rouge Parish and booked them into Parish Prison between 2:30 p.m. Friday and 2:30 p.m. Saturday, booking records show.
Those booked and the counts against them:
- Michael Bell, 32, 2528 Sherwood St., Baton Rouge, first-offense DWI and driver’s license suspended/revoked.
- Ashton Booker, 24, 1825 College St., Baker, first-offense DWI and reckless operation.
- Ryan Clark, 39, 521 Charles Ave., Baker, first-offense DWI and reckless operation.
- Robin Crampton, 49, 8634 Highland St., New Roads, first-offense DWI, failure to maintain control and reckless operation.
- Essence Daniels, 17, 10416 Ave. G, Baton Rouge, first-offense DWI and possession/distribution/cultivation/manufacturing of Schedule I drugs.
- Ellis Green, 45, 4304 Breckenridge Drive, Baker, first-offense DWI and reckless operation.
- Corey Hawkins, 35, 13840 Felicity Drive, Baker, first-offense DWI and possession of alcohol in vehicle.
- Ricky James, 27, 4708 Ave. Z, Zachary, first-offense DWI and reckless operation.
- Jeffrey Leblanc, 25, 2824 King Charles Drive, Baker, first-offense DWI and reckless operation.
- Marcus Moore, 22, 4303 Rue de Valeur, Baker, first-offense DWI and one-way street violation.
- Lluvia Peveto, 29, 3180 Old Baker Road, Zachary, first-offense DWI and reckless operation.
- Carl Snowden, 46, 20258 Reames Road, Zachary, first-offense DWI, possession of marijuana and possession of alcohol in vehicle.
- Donald Spencer, 35, 4201 N. Morvant St., Baker, first-offense DWI and reckless operation.
- Brandy Toups, 31, 3460 White Oak St., Zachary, third-offense DWI, driver’s license required, possession of drug paraphernalia and possession/distribution/manufacturing/cultivation of Schedule I drugs.
- Jerome Turner, 36, 41157 New Orleans Drive, Sorrento, first-offense DWI and improper lane usage.
Compiled from staff reports. To talk to a crime reporter at The Advocate, call (225) 388-0369.