Police accuse men of robbing joggers
Two men were arrested Friday for allegedly robbing several joggers around the LSU lakes in four separate incidents, a police spokesman said in a news release.
Lartell Doss, 20, 3270 Garnet Drive, and Jason Williams, 20, 6421 Clinton, were each arrested on three counts of armed robbery and one count of attempted armed robbery, Stone said.
The incidents all occurred since Sunday, Stone said.
Joggers were robbed of cellphones in the evening hours around the lakes, Stone said.
One of those incidents happened Tuesday, when a jogger was robbed on Dalrymple Drive near Lutheran Church, Stone said.
That robbery prompted LSU?s emergency operations center to send out a text message warning people to avoid the area.
LSU Police officers were given a description of Doss and Williams? car after being notified of an armed robbery Wednesday, according to an LSU news release.
The officers found the car, which led to the arrests of Doss and Williams, the release says.
Doss and Williams later confessed to the robberies, the release says.
Man shot at park on North Ardenwood
A 39-year-old man was shot several times Friday afternoon at a BREC park on North Ardenwood Drive, a police spokesman said in a news release.
The victim was shot in the parking lot of the facility, located at 1870 N. Ardenwood Drive about 4 p.m., Cpl. L?Jean McKneely said in the release.
The victim was wounded in the torso and was in critical condition at a hospital, McKneely said.
A possible suspect was seen leaving the area north on North Ardenwood in a red Ford Mustang with a tan top, McKneely said.
The motive for the shooting is unknown, McKneely said.
Anyone with information on this incident is urged to contact the Baton Rouge Police Department Homicide Division at (225) 389-4869 or Crime Stoppers at (225) 344-STOP.
Authorities book 8 on suspicion of DWI
Authorities arrested at least eight people suspected of driving while intoxicated in East Baton Rouge Parish and booked them into Parish Prison between 2:30 p.m. Thursday and 2:30 p.m. Friday, booking records show.
Those booked and the counts against them are:
• Benjamin Boyett, 19, 13727 Ridgeview Drive, first-offense DWI, driver?s license not on person, no proof of insurance and failure to maintain control.
• Joel Dean, 21, 954 Denmeade Walk, Marietta, Ga., first-offense DWI, driver?s license not in possession, reckless operation of a vehicle and improper lane usage.
• Michael Jackson, 48, 10950 Darryl Drive, second-offense DWI, improper lane usage, drinking in a motor vehicle, equipment violation and driver?s license suspended or revoked.
• Leo Lanza, 24, 761 W. Roosevelt Drive, first-offense DWI and improper lane usage.
• Jason Peavey, 30, 235 Lafitte Drive, first-offense DWI, resisting an officer and disturbing the peace by intoxication.
• Justin Pennington, 20, 1090 Hershey Drive, Marietta, Ga., first-offense DWI, reckless operation of a vehicle and improper lane usage.
• Robert Porter, 30, 10550 Florida Blvd. Court, first-offense DWI, resisting an officer, reckless operation of a vehicle and driving under suspension.
• Efremizimbalist Randle, 43, 2102 Fred Banks, Denham Springs, first-offense DWI and obstruction of a public highway.
Compiled from staff reports. To talk to a crime reporter at The Advocate, call (225) 388-0369.