A man who admitted to family members he strangled his wife was arrested Monday evening after her body was found inside their residence on Castle Hill Drive, an East Baton Rouge Parish sheriff’s official said.

Donald Wayne Germany II, 42, faces a count of second-degree murder and domestic abuse battery in the killing at 12850 Castle Hill Drive, said Casey Rayborn Hicks, a Sheriff’s Office spokeswoman.

Nichole Jones, 41, was pronounced dead at the scene after emergency medical workers tried to revive her, Hicks said.

Germany called 911 just after 10 a.m. Monday morning, telling the operator he’d just killed his wife, a Sheriff’s Office report says. Germany gave the operator his name and address, the report says, and remained on the phone as he waited in the front yard for paramedics and sheriff’s deputies to arrive.

Deputies found Nichole Jones dead inside with scratches to her face and neck, according to the report.

Before calling authorities, Germany phoned several family members, confessing he’d just killed his wife and asking them to pick up his daughter, 11, from the Castle Hill house, Hicks said.

“The child did not witness the homicide, nor was she injured,” Hicks said, adding that the girl was in a separate room when the killing happened. The child is now in the care of her other family members, Hicks said.

Deputies arrested Germany, who told deputies he’d been in a relationship with his wife for about 22 years but had marital problems in 2014, the report says.

Germany told authorities he and Jones had an argument on Sunday that continued after she returned home from an overnight shift at work about 7:30 Monday morning, Hicks said.

“He stated during the conversation a comment triggered him, and he strangled his wife in the bed, killing her,” Hicks said.

On Aug. 30, Germany was arrested on a count of simple assault after a woman at the Castle Hill house called a friend and asked for police, according to an East Baton Rouge Sheriff’s Office report of the incident.

“Tell the police not to leave because he won’t let me leave,” the report says, paraphrasing the woman’s plea.

When deputies arrived, Germany refused to open the door, then looked through the mini-blinds and said no help was needed, the report says.

“The victim looked out of the blinds shaking her head ‘no’ but saying that everything was OK and she was having a conversation with her husband,” the report says. Germany was eventually handcuffed and booked into jail.

The woman told deputies that after she arrived home from work at 9 a.m., she got into an argument with Germany after he accused her cheating on him, according to the document. The woman said Germany told her he was going to kill her, the report says.

Germany denied that claim but said “some of the statements he made may have implied that,” according to the document.

After being arrested in the incident in August, he posted a $1,500 bail, and the case was dropped after prosecutors had trouble getting in touch with the victim, said East Baton Rouge Parish District Attorney Hillar Moore III.

The case was no-billed in November, Moore said.

Germany told deputies Monday he’d previously attempted suicide and said he suspected his wife of having an affair.

The report says he confronted her Monday morning about his suspicions of having an affair and accused her of wanting him to die when he attempted suicide in 2015. Germany said his wife told him she respected his wishes to die, after which he grabbed her throat and strangled her.

Tee Williams, 63, who lives next-door to the house, which was surrounded Monday by police tape, said the couple had lived there for over a decade.

The pair was quiet and only occasionally played in their grassy front yard with their child, Williams said.

“They stayed inside. You didn’t see them,” he said, though he added he would greet them sometimes over the backyard fence.

Williams said Jones worked as a nurse, but a spokeswoman for Jones’ alleged employer did not respond to a request for comment.

Williams said Germany had worked in stucco construction but appeared to be working less in recent years.

The Advocate was not able to make contact with Germany’s or Jones’ families Monday evening.

Advocate staff writer Bryn Stole contributed to this report. Follow Maya Lau on Twitter, @mayalau.