Police arrested one man and are looking for another in the June 6 sexual assault of a woman and the beating of a man, police said in a news release.
Joseph Peter Morgan, 25, and an accomplice broke into the couple’s apartment at 11 p.m. earlier this month, Sgt. Don Stone said in the news release.
The 19-year-old woman was sexually assaulted, Stone said.
The 27-year-old man was beaten, he said.
The woman escaped through a window, ran to a neighbor’s apartment and called police, Stone said.
The man also escaped, but only after being chased by Morgan and the other man, Stone said.
Morgan and the accomplice were both armed and took an undisclosed amount of cash from the couple’s home, Stone said.
DNA taken from the apartment led detectives to Morgan, who was arrested at 8:30 p.m. Tuesday, Stone said.
Morgan, 8122 Ned Ave., was booked into East Baton Rouge Parish Prison on one count each of aggravated second-degree battery, armed robbery, second-degree sexual battery and simple battery, Stone said.
Anyone with information about Morgan’s accomplice can contact police at (225) 389-4869 or Crime Stoppers at (225) 344-7867, Stone said.
Authorities book 6 on suspicion of DWI
Authorities arrested at least six people suspected of driving while intoxicated in East Baton Rouge Parish - including a man on a fifth-offense DWI - and booked them into Parish Prison between 2:30 p.m. Monday and 2:30 p.m. Wednesday, booking records show.
Those booked and the counts against them:
• Meredith Hobgood, 24, 2865 Muirfield Drive, Zachary, first-offense DWI, driver’s license required or expired and improper lane usage.
• Kenneth Holcomb, 24, 1712 Elk St., Morgan City, first-offense DWI, speeding, disobeying a red light and possession of alcohol in a vehicle.
• Richard Rayburn, 48, 15002 Ridgewood Ave., Prairieville, fifth-offense DWI and failure to maintain control.
• Jason Swierl, 25, 1334 Highland Road, first-offense DWI, speeding and following too close.
• Michael Wilbanks, 36, 10028 Sagefield Drive, first-offense DWI, hit-and-run, failure to report an accident and failure to stop/yield.
• Terrance Williams, 19, 11101 Rieger Road, first-offense DWI and improper lane usage.