An apparent electrical short started a fire in a carport and storage area, eventually damaging about two-thirds of a Baton Rouge home Thursday night, Fire Department spokesman Robert Combs said.

Firefighters received the call about the fire at 1836 Oak St., at 6:17 p.m. Thursday and it took about 20 minutes to get the fire under control. There were no injuries, Combs said.

The people in the house told firefighters they saw the lights in several rooms begin to flicker and go out, followed by a crackling noise. They soon discovered that the carport and a storage room were on fire, which soon spread to the rest of the home, Combs said.

The damage also included a 2005 Saturn ION, which is likely totaled, he said. The losses are estimated at $115,000. The fire melted the siding on a home next door.