Police have identified the victim of a shooting Saturday night on Swan Avenue near Southern University, according to a news release.
Lawrence King, 22, 12525 Wedgewood Drive, Baker, was shot at the intersection of Swan Avenue and Scenic Highway, police spokesman Sgt. Donald Stone said in the release.
Officers working traffic for Southern’s football game Saturday heard the gunshots around 8:20 p.m., Stone said.
King walked up to officers to tell them he had been shot, Stone said.
King later died while being treated in the hospital, Stone said.
Police have obtained an arrest warrant for Maurice C. Francis, 21, 3712 Byron St., in the shooting, Stone said.
Officers believe King and Francis were arguing at the intersection of Swan Street and Scenic Highway when Francis shot King, Stone said.
Family members at King’s house in Baker on Sunday declined comment.
A sign outside the house asked people to respect the family’s privacy.
“Not accepting any visits at this time,” the sign read. “Thanks for your deep concerns.”
BR man, 43, killed in crash near home
A 43-year-old man died in a crash Sunday near his home on Hoo Shoo Too Road, an East Baton Rouge Parish Sheriff’s spokeswoman said Sunday.
Reginald Johnson, 20412 Hoo Shoo Too Road, was traveling east around 4 p.m. when his car left the road and hit a tree near 19370 Hoo Shoo Too Road, Sheriff’s Office spokeswoman Casey Rayborn Hicks said.
Johnson was ejected from the car, Hicks said.
He was taken to a hospital and later was pronounced dead from his injuries, Hicks said.
Deputies are still investigating whether alcohol was a factor in the crash, Hicks said.
Authorities arrest 11 on suspicion of DWI
Authorities arrested at least 11 people suspected of driving while intoxicated and booked them into Parish Prison between 2:30 p.m. Saturday and 2:30 p.m. Sunday, booking records show.
Those booked and the counts against them:
• Antwon Bullard, 32, 4030 Butternut St., East Chicago, Ind., first-offense DWI and improper lane usage.
• Nicholas Butler, 36, 701 N. 25th St., first-offense DWI, driver’s license suspended or revoked and driving left of center.
• Burke Daigle, 44, 4311 Marshall St., Zachary, third-offense DWI and driving left of center.
• Donald Kogel, 61, 10668 Hill Point Drive, first-offense DWI.
• Britton Kreyling, 30, 508 Harrow Road, Knoxville, Tenn., first-offense DWI, failure to signal and failure to obey a stop sign or yield sign.
• Joshua Pedigo, 34, 887 Spanish Oaks Drive, Brusly, first-offense DWI and driver’s license not on person.
• Brennan Picard, 21, 10656 Willowbrook Drive, first-offense DWI, disobeying a red light and reckless operation of a vehicle.
• Cyril Simon, 44, 37275 La. 22, Darrow, second-offense DWI, possession of marijuana and improper lane usage.
• Tijuan Thompson, 23, 1512 79th Ave., first-offense DWI, reckless operation of a vehicle, entering or remaining after being forbidden and failure to maintain control.
• Victoria Trauth, 26, 17570 Brookfield Ave., first-offense DWI and reckless operation of a vehicle.
• Trisha Williams, 41, 4487 Hyacinth Ave., second-offense DWI, headlights required and reckless operation of a vehicle.
Compiled from staff reports. To talk to a crime reporter at The Advocate, call (225) 388-0369.