Fire causes center residents to evacuate
The St. George Fire Department investigated a minor blaze that broke out in one of the rooms at Carrington Place of Baton Rouge Senior Care facility, 8225 Summa Ave.
The sprinkler system doused the flames before firefighters arrived at 5:56 p.m., Fire Department spokesman Eldon Ledoux said.
The cause was determined to be “improper disposal of smoking materials,” Ledoux said.
The fire was extinguished at 6:02 p.m., Ledoux said.
The facility’s residents were evacuated during the emergency and afterward, all were accounted for, Ledoux said.
East Baton Rouge Emergency Medical Services transported one person to a hospital for further evaluation, Ledoux said.
Authorities book 6 on suspicion of DWI
Authorities arrested at least six people suspected of driving while intoxicated in East Baton Rouge Parish and booked them into Parish Prison between 2:30 p.m. Thursday and 2:30 p.m. Friday, booking records show.
Those booked and the counts against them:
- Kiara Chambers, 23, 3771 Alliquipa St., Baton Rouge, first-offense DWI, possession of marijuana and driver’s license required.
- Karen Granger, 49, 1835 Bayou Paul Lane, St. Gabriel, first-offense DWI, failure to maintain control and reckless operation of a vehicle.
- Sandra Hubbard, 51, 738 N. 31st St., Baton Rouge, first-offense DWI, driver’s license required/expired and reckless operation of a vehicle.
- Sherri Johnson, 45, 163 Vienna Bend Drive, Natchitoches, first-offense DWI, possession of alcohol in a vehicle, disturbing the peace, driver’s license required, insurance required, resisting an officer and commercial vehicles exemption registration.
- Gregory McKinley, 53, 6055 S. Howell Drive, Baton Rouge, first-offense DWI and reckless operation of a vehicle.
- Demond Sanders, 25, 1197 N. Acadian Thruway, Baton Rouge, first-offense DWI, resisting an officer, disobeying a police officer, possession of marijuana and reckless operation of a vehicle.
Compiled from staff reports. To talk to a crime reporter at The Advocate, call (225) 388-0369.