A Sunday morning fire severely damaged the attic and roof of a home at 5111 Jean St., according to a Baton Rouge Fire Department news release.
The cause of the 5:15 a.m. blaze is still under investigation, the release says.
Firefighters saw flames shooting through the roof when they arrived at the home, the release says.
Firefighters initially thought a man was trapped inside the home, but determined the resident was not home after searching it, the release says.
The home is considered a loss, the release says.
Firefighters probe Mohican house fire
Firefighters are trying to determine what caused a Sunday morning fire at a house at 4368 Mohican St., according to a Baton Rouge Fire Department news release.
The fire, which was reported at about 4 a.m., was contained in the house’s living room, the release says.
No one was home at the time of the fire, the release says.
Authorities book 8 on suspicion of DWI
Authorities arrested at least eight people suspected of driving while intoxicated in East Baton Rouge Parish and booked them into Parish Prison between 2:30 p.m. Saturday and 2:30 p.m. Sunday, booking records show. Those booked and the counts against them:
• Erik Bravo, 30, 1924 Elizabeth St., Ingleside, Texas, first-offense DWI, reckless operation of a vehicle and obstruction of a highway.
• Kenith Epps, 48, 1112 Seville Ave., Baker, second-offense DWI, failure to maintain control and driver’s license suspended or revoked.
• Adam Lato, 25, 8008 Bluebonnet Blvd., second-offense DWI, improper lane usage and reckless operation of a vehicle.
• Larry Parker, 55, 9208 Helene St., third-offense DWI and reckless operation of a vehicle.
• Dana Solet, 22, 5116 Shrimpers Row, Houma, first-offense DWI, headlights required and reckless operation of a vehicle.
• James Spillman, 66, 6323 Gabriel Oaks Drive, first-offense DWI, improper lane usage and driver’s license suspended or revoked.
• Patrick Thompson, 45, 3006 Calumet St. No. 5, first-offense DWI, failure to maintain control, driver’s license not in possession and careless driving.
• Amilkar Vargas, 29, 2115 Sherwood Forest Blvd., first-offense DWI, operating a vehicle without lawful presence in the U.S. and driver’s license required.
Compiled from staff reports. To talk to a crime reporter at The Advocate, call (225) 388-0369.