Baton Rouge fire investigators have ruled that a Tuesday morning fire at the Howell Place Apartments, 4150 72nd Ave., was caused by arson.
Firefighters responded to fire in Unit 413 at 7:20 a.m., deploying four pumper trucks, one ladder truck and two support vehicles and getting it under control by 7:35 a.m.
“Upon entry to the apartment firefighters discovered a couch engulfed in flames,” Baton Rouge Fire Department spokesman Curt Monte said. “The fire was quickly extinguished, but not before it caused heavy smoke and heat damage to the unit.”
Damage to the unit and its contents is estimated as $60,000, Monte said.
The investigation is ongoing, he said. Call investigators at (225) 354-1419 with information about the fire.