The Baton Rouge Fire Department announced that an electrical malfunction sparked a fire in the attic of a Brookshire Avenue home on Sunday afternoon.

A couple in the home at 12235 Brookshire Ave. noticed the power go out at about 4:15 p.m., and then they heard a “loud popping” sound above their home’s primary electrical panel, said Curt Monte, a Fire Department spokesman.

Firefighters were able to contain the blaze to the attic, and the couple escaped unharmed, but the fire caused $20,000 in damage to the $230,000 home, Monte said.