Teen accused of being lookout in assault
A teen accused of standing watch outside a Woodlawn High School bathroom as a 14-year-old girl was forced to perform oral sex on a 16-year-old boy last October has been arrested.
The 14-year-old told investigators on Oct. 8 she had been walking down the hall with Dwayne Reed, who was 18 at the time, and the 16-year-old boy on Oct. 3 when the younger boy told Reed to check whether a teacher was coming. Surveillance footage shows Reed “standing outside the bathroom as a lookout,” the arrest warrant says.
The juvenile suspect, who already has been arrested, grabbed the girl by her backpack and forced her into a stall, the warrant says. The girl said when the teen boy was finished, they walked out of the stall where other boys began grabbing her and trying to force her back into the stall.
School officials learned of the incident the next day after a crowd of students gathered around the victim at lunch, the warrant says. The principal dispersed the crowd and was told by another student about the attack.
“The principal advised that he contacted the victim’s parents and, after initially denying that anything had occurred, she admitted to another administrator about what happened,” the warrant says.
A week after the rape, detectives learned from school officials that several students had witnessed Reed inside the bathroom along with the juvenile boy, the warrant says. One of those witnesses told investigators he witnessed Reed sitting on the floor of the bathroom wearing a black jacket at the time of the rape.
Reed, 12400 Jefferson Highway, Baton Rouge, was booked into Parish Prison on Friday on one count of principal to forcible rape.
BR man accused in attack on ex-boyfriend
Sheriff’s deputies arrested a 29-year-old man Saturday who is accused of kicking in the door to his ex-boyfriend’s apartment on Aug. 3, attacking the victim and stealing his wallet and cellphone.
The victim said Sedrick Demond Lewis ripped open a screen on an outer burglar door, unlocked that door and kicked in the front door, according to the arrest warrant. Lewis then ran and jumped on the victim, punching him in the face repeatedly, the warrant says.
When the victim finally pushed Lewis off, Lewis grabbed the wallet and cellphone from the victim’s sofa and ran outside to a waiting vehicle, the warrant says.
Lewis, last known address of 4525 Brookstown Drive, Baton Rouge, was booked into Parish Prison on counts of home invasion, theft and simple criminal damage to property.
Beech Street blaze blamed on broken bulb
A broken light bulb ignited a house fire on Beech Street late Friday, but the homeowner was able to escape unharmed, Fire Department officials said.
The fire at 4655 Beech St., started about 10:10 p.m. Friday, Mark Miles, a Baton Rouge Fire Department spokesman, said Saturday. Firefighters encountered smoke when they got into the home and flames in a rear bedroom.
“The owner informed them that she had been in that room earlier and bumped the bed causing a lamp to fall over and the light bulb broke,” Miles said.
Fire and heavy smoke damaged the home, estimated to be worth $120,000 before the fire. The Fire Department estimated total damage to be $65,000, Miles said.
15 booked on suspicion of DWI in EBR
Authorities arrested at least 15 people suspected of driving while intoxicated in East Baton Rouge Parish and booked them into Parish Prison between 2:30 p.m. Friday and 2:30 p.m. Saturday, booking records show.
Those booked and the counts against them:
- Karen Bess, 50, 12283 La. 73, Geismar, first-offense DWI and reckless operation.
- Romana Butler, 38, 1716 N. Harco Drive, Baton Rouge, first-offense DWI and driver’s license required/expired.
- Stephen Dodson, 24, 5113 Sandy Ridge Drive, Baton Rouge, first-offense DWI and reckless operation.
- William Gillette, 58, 767 Richland Ave., first-offense DWI, reckless operation and following too close.
- Dalton Hall, 20, 825 W. 58th St., Kansas City, Missouri, first-offense DWI and failure to maintain control.
- Anthony Jimenez, 29, 510 S. Club Ave., Baton Rouge, first-offense DWI and reckless operation.
- Jonathan McGill, 21, 6315 Fred Allen Road, Long Beach, first-offense DWI, resisting an officer and hit-and-run.
- Alli Melancon, 26, 1276 Bergeron Road, Breaux Bridge, first-offense DWI and reckless operation.
- Royal Nash, 46, 3763 Edgemont Drive, first-offense DWI, headlights required, motor-vehicle inspection required, drinking in a motor vehicle, reckless operation and improper lane usage.
- Nicholas Perron, 28, 8857 Pecan Tree Drive, Baton Rouge, second-offense DWI and reckless operation.
- Kyle Pizzolato, 22, 42223 Cort Drive, Hammond, first-offense DWI and reckless operation.
- Rogers Spears, 57, 1713 N. 46th St., first-offense DWI, failure to yield for a left turn, hit-and-run, drinking in a motor vehicle, insurance required and other laws of the road.
- Erica Templet, 22, 15959 Tiger Bend Road, Baton Rouge, first-offense DWI and reckless operation.
- Jason Thackrey, 43, 18673 Mossy Oak Court, Prairieville, first-offense DWI and one-way street violation.
- Shawn Thomassie, 30, 15489 Ball Park Road, Prairieville, first-offense DWI and reckless operation.
Compiled from staff reports. To talk to a crime reporter at The Advocate, call (225) 388-0369.