Police seek suspects,motive in shooting
Baton Rouge police are investigating a Thursday night shooting that left a 21-year-old man seriously injured.
The shooting happened shortly after 9 p.m. in the 5200 block of Clayton Drive, said Cpl. L’Jean McKneely, a police spokesman.
McKneely said the victim was returning home from the grocery store when he was approached by two unidentified men, one of whom began firing.
The victim was shot multiple times, McKneely said, but he is expected to survive his injuries.
Robbery, kidnappingsuspect apprehended
A man wanted in an armed robbery and kidnapping Monday was caught in Livingston Parish.
Members of the U.S. Marshals Fugitive Task Force and Livingston Parish Sheriff’s Office arrested Zebbie Berthelot, 37, on Wednesday and booked him into Livingston Parish Prison, East Baton Rouge Parish Sheriff’s Office spokeswoman Casey Rayborn Hicks said Friday.
Berthelot, whose listed address of 17960 Will Ave., Lot 12, Greenwell Springs, is scheduled to be transported to Parish Prison, Hicks said.
Berthelot and another man are accused of robbing, beating and kidnapping a third man in Baton Rouge in a possible drug deal and forcing the man to consume pills and have sex with prostitutes in an Airline Highway motel.
Berthelot was out on bond while awaiting arraignment on drug charges stemming from a December arrest.
BR man accusedof groping man
LSU police have arrested a man accused of groping another man while he was naked and walking from a shower to aUniversity Recreation Center locker on April 16.
Hung Dang, 46, 9850 Market West Drive, was booked Thursday with sexual battery and criminal trespassing, according to East Baton Rouge Parish Prison records.
According to an affidavit warrant, Dang grabbed the victim’s genitals after the victim left a shower.
Dang was later caught when detectives found footage of Dang running from the men’s locker room of the center and multiple people identified him from a flyer.
The victim picked Dang out of a photo lineup.
Dang is not affiliated with the university, LSU police Capt. Cory Lalonde said in a news release.
Nine people bookedwith DWI in EBR
Authorities arrested at least nine people suspected of driving while intoxicated in East Baton Rouge Parish and booked them into Parish Prison between 2:30 p.m. Thursday and 2:30 p.m. Friday, booking records show.
Those booked and the counts against them:
- Frederick Atchison, 47, 104 Shady Side St., Brookhaven, Miss., first-offense DWI and reckless operation of a vehicle.
- Toby Bronson, 41, 721 Robert St., New Orleans, first-offense DWI, motor vehicle inspection required, reckless operation of a vehicle, insurance required, license plate required and driver’s license not in possession.
- Naquail Brook, 31, 7693 Comite Drive, Baton Rouge, first-offense DWI, driver’s license not in possession and reckless operation of a vehicle.
- Courtney Cronan, 21, 3808 Blaker Ridge Ave., Baton Rouge, second-offense DWI, motor vehicle inspection required and driver’s license suspended/revoked.
- Pernell Johnson, 26, 4592 W. Brookstown St., Baton Rouge, first-offense DWI, reckless operation of a vehicle and driver’s license suspended/revoked.
- Patrick McLaughlin, 26, 9771 Jefferson Highway, Baton Rouge, first-offense DWI and reckless operation of a vehicle.
- Julius Roberts, 44, 7272 Burbank Ave., Baton Rouge, first-offense DWI.
- Charles Rougeau, 42, 17417 Amaryllis Drive, Baton Rouge, first-offense DWI.
- John St. Germain, 23, 13785 Alvin Sibley Drive, Walker, second-offense DWI and reckless operation of a vehicle.
Compiled from staff reports. To talk to a crime reporter at The Advocate, call (225) 388-0369.