A malfunctioning heating system set off smoke alarms early Sunday inside Macy’s in the Mall of Louisiana, a St. George Fire Department spokesman said.

The first of several St. George units arrived at the mall at 8:32 a.m. after the department was called about smoke in the Macy’s store, Eldon Ledoux said in a news release.

Firefighters found smoke coming from the heating unit and did not find an active fire, Ledoux said. The malfunctioning heating unit was shut off.

Ledoux said fire departments commonly receive calls about smoke when heaters are activated after being off during the warm months.