Baton Rouge police rescued a 34-year-old man Wednesday afternoon in a department helicopter after the victim was cut badly while tubing on the Amite River, police spokesman Sgt. Donald Stone said.
The injured man was not identified, but Stone said he is from Scott.
The Central Fire Department first received the call about the injured man, but said it could not reach him because of his location on the river, Stone said.
The Central Fire Department then contacted the Police Department for help, Stone said.
The helicopter arrived but was unable to land in the area. Stone said one of the pilots, David Poirrier, got out to help the victim, but Stone did not say how Poirrier got out of the aircraft.
Poirrier pushed the victim in a tube downriver to a safe landing spot for the helicopter, Stone said.
The victim was airlifted to a nearby Emergency Medical Services unit that took him to a hospital, Stone said. His condition was unavailable.
Chase bank robbed; police seek bandit
Police are looking for a man who robbed the Chase Bank on State Street near LSU in the North Gate area on Tuesday, according to the Baton Rouge Police Department and LSU Police.
The suspect is a black male, about 5 feet, 10 inches tall, wearing a dark hooded sweatshirt, LSU Police said on LSU’s website.
He was last seen running toward West Campus Apartments, which are near Aster Street, the police said.
The robbery happened at 4:48 p.m., said Cpl. L’Jean McKneely, a Baton Rouge police spokesman.
Anyone with information on the robbery is asked to call the Armed Robbery Division at 389-3845 or Crime Stoppers 344-STOP.
5 booked with DWI in EBR Parish Prison
Authorities arrested at least five people suspected of driving while intoxicated in East Baton Rouge Parish and booked them into Parish Prison between 2:30 p.m. Tuesday and 2:30 p.m. Wednesday, booking records show.
Those booked and the counts against them:
• Dana Bourgeois, 29, 8026 Jefferson Highway, first-offense DWI and reckless operation of a vehicle.
• William Hadden, 21, 3833 Northshore Ave., first-offense DWI and disobeying a red light.
• Dawn Huffman, 42, 16435 Pernecia Ave., Greenwell Springs, first-offense DWI, improper lane usage, failure to signal, not in possession of a driver’s license, improper turn and drinking in a motor vehicle.
• Donald Spencer III, 32, 4201 N. Morvant St., Baker, first-offense DWI, driver’s license not in possession, license plate required and careless driving.
• Rodney Thomas, 59, 7913 Park St., third-offense DWI, driving the wrong way on a one-way street, operating a vehicle while driver’s license is suspended for a prior offense, and hit and run.
Compiled from staff reports. To talk to a crime reporter at The Advocate, call (225) 388-0369.