Man arrested in park robbery, rape
Baton Rouge police arrested a man accused of a robbery and rape in a BREC park.
Police booked Tyrone Pope, 20, 1431 Fraternity St., Baton Rouge, into Parish Prison on Friday on one count each of aggravated rape and armed robbery, booking records show.
According to the affidavit of probable cause, Pope approached a man and woman in a car about 12:30 a.m. March 23 at the Anna T. Jordan BREC Park and forced them out of the car at gunpoint.
Pope forced the man to lie facedown on the ground, but left the nude woman standing while he took $18 from the man and the woman’s cellphone, the affidavit says.
Then, Pope allegedly raped the woman while pointing the gun at the man, the affidavit says.
Pope then took the woman to another area of the park, where a second man arrived and allegedly raped her, the affidavit says.
The second man is described as in his mid-20s, about 5 feet, 8 inches to 5 feet, 9 inches tall and weighs about 200 pounds, according to police.
Anyone with information about the second suspect is asked to contact the Police Department’s Sex Crimes Division at (225) 389-3853 or Crime Stoppers at (225) 344-7867.
Authorities book 11 on suspicion of DWI
Authorities arrested at least 11 people suspected of driving while intoxicated in East Baton Rouge Parish and booked them into Parish Prison between 2:30 p.m. Friday and 2:30 p.m. Saturday, booking records show.
Those booked and the counts against them:
- Richard Chassee, 29, 16951 Addison Road, Addison, Texas, third-offense DWI, failure to signal a turn and reckless operation of a vehicle.
- Henry Major, 63, 13706 Broad Court, Baton Rouge, first-offense DWI and failure to maintain control.
- Jackie Murphy, 68, 9331 Scenic Highway, Baton Rouge, first-offense DWI, speeding and failure to maintain control.
- Clarance Powell, 32, 9580 Ferry Road, New Roads, first-offense DWI.
- Tyrone Rivers, 39, 16441 S. Harrell’s Ferry Road, Baton Rouge, first-offense DWI, improper lane usage and driver’s license suspended/revoked.
- Robert Rossi, 25, 18820 Wild Life Way Drive, Baton Rouge, first-offense DWI, drinking in public and speeding.
- Alvin Scott, 47, 6770 Juniper Drive, Baton Rouge, first-offense DWI, reckless operation of a vehicle and failure to maintain control.
- Mack Tart, 35, 155 Marlynn Drive, Baton Rouge, first-offense DWI and reckless operation of a vehicle.
- Mario Vazquez-Rodriguez, 29, 10795 Mead Road, Baton Rouge, first-offense DWI, driver’s license required and reckless operation of a vehicle.
- Keith Withers, 25, 550 Lee Drive, Baton Rouge, second-offense DWI, improper lane usage, speeding and reckless operation of a vehicle.
- James Wynn, 33, 6621 Marionette Drive, Baton Rouge, first-offense DWI, possession of alcohol in vehicle, speeding and failure to yield to an emergency vehicle.
Compiled from staff reports. To talk to a crime reporter at The Advocate, call (225) 388-0369.