A 74-year-old woman who said she sleeps with a gun in her bed rolled over during the night and accidentally shot herself, a police spokesman said.
The incident occurred at 2 a.m. Thursday in the 1600 block of Sharp Road, Sgt. Don Stone said. Police have ruled the shooting accidental.
The woman, who shot herself in the upper stomach, was transported to a hospital with non-life-threatening injuries, Stone said.
Man arrested on DNA in ’08 rape in field
A Zachary man was arrested Wednesday and accused of raping a woman three years ago in a field on Greenwell Street, an arrest warrant says.
Darnell Washington, 48, approached the victim while she walked home from a friend’s house at 11:30 p.m. June 24, 2008, the warrant says.
Washington grabbed the woman, pushed an object that felt like the barrel of a gun into her back, told her to take off her clothes and then raped her, the warrant says.
DNA evidence collected after the crime matched Washington’s DNA and led to his arrest, the warrant says.
Washington, 535 W. Mount Pleasant Road, was booked into Parish Prison on one count of forcible rape.
House fire causes $35,000 in damage
A house fire at North Eugene Street on Thursday caused $35,000 in damage but injured no one, according to a Fire Department news release.
Firefighters arrived at 3:07 p.m. and saw flames coming from the back of the house, the release says.
The fire began near the water heater in a washroom at the back of the home, the release says.
The fire caused “extensive” damage in the front of the home and “significant” damage in the back.
No one was at home when the fire happened.
6 arrested on counts of drunken driving
Authorities arrested at least six people suspected of driving while intoxicated in East Baton Rouge Parish and booked them into Parish Prison between 2:30 p.m. Wednesday and 2:30 p.m. Thursday, booking records show.
Those booked and the counts against them:
• Jason Hamilton, 23, 5823 E. Crown Ave., second-offense DWI, driver’s license required and speeding.
• Kelly Broussard, 47, 2225 College Drive, first-offense DWI and simple obstruction of highway.
• Sabrina Buckner, 43, 8627 Cody Drive, first-offense DWI and improper lane usage.
• Christine Chapman, 28, 4717 Woodlyn Drive, first-offense DWI, improper lane usage and reckless operation of a vehicle.
• Collin Durrett, 19, 3829 White Sands Drive, first-offense DWI, improper lane usage and reckless operation of a vehicle.
• Leneisha Smith, 22, 1436 Arts St., New Orleans, first-offense DWI, improper lane usage and reckless operation of a vehicle.