Deputies raid shop, seize synthetic pot
Sheriff’s deputies on Thursday afternoon seized 218 pounds of synthetic marijuana and more than $34,000 in cash.
An East Baton Rouge Sheriff’s Office narcotics squad found the items while searching Lotus Shop, 1962 O’Neal Lane, Baton Rouge, said Casey Rayborn Hicks, a Sheriff’s Office spokeswoman.
Shop owner Tim Nguyen, 39, arrived during the search and agreed to let deputies search his car as well as his apartment at 2525 O’Neal Lane, which held more drugs and cash, Hicks said.
Deputies booked Nguyen on counts of possession with intent to distribute and distribution of synthetic marijuana.
Tien Hoang, 33, who worked at the business and was also Nguyen’s roommate, was booked on a count of distribution of synthetic marijuana, Hicks said.
Deputies find body on Hoo Shoo Too Road
A woman thought she had hit something while driving home early Thursday on Hoo Shoo Too Road, so she called the East Baton Rouge Parish Sheriff’s Office.
Deputies, responding to the 2:30 a.m. call, went to the scene and found a man’s body in a ditch of tall grass, according to a news release.
The victim has been identified as 36-year-old Anthony Ray Robinson, last address unknown, and the pedestrian fatality case is still under investigation, sheriff’s office spokeswoman Casey Rayborn Hicks said.
Authorities arrest five suspected of DWI
Authorities arrested at least five people suspected of driving while intoxicated in East Baton Rouge Parish and booked them into Parish Prison between 2:30 p.m. Wednesday and 2:30 p.m. Thursday, booking records show.
Those booked and the counts against them:
- Megan Chiasson, 24, 1103 W. Camelia Drive, Thibodeaux, first-offense DWI, reckless operation of vehicle, improper lane use and failure to signal.
- Justin Green, 43, 243 McCastle Ave., Baton Rouge, first-offense DWI, open-container violations, expired motor vehicle inspection, driver’s license suspended or revoked, reckless operation of vehicle, and possession of marijuana.
- Christopher Jones, 30, 7584 Goode St., Baton Rouge, first-offense DWI, driver’s license suspended or revoked, and improper lane use.
- Laura Price, 35, 1558 George O’Neal Road, Baton Rouge, first-offense DWI, driver’s license suspended or revoked, reckless operation of vehicle and improper lane usage.
- Catherine Warner, 21, 1200 Laura St., Sulphur, first-offense DWI, reckless operation of vehicle and improper lane use.
Compiled from staff reports. To talk to a crime reporter at The Advocate, call (225) 388-0369.