Man accused of beating girlfriend
Sheriff’s deputies arrested a Baton Rouge man accused of hitting his live-in girlfriend in the face, choking her and ripping part of her hair out while she was holding their 9-month-old son.
Melvin Jones, 41, was furious that his girlfriend of 19 years would not let him go out with his friends, according to an affidavit of probable cause.
As the argument at their Pontotoc Street home escalated, Jones grabbed the victim by her hair, dragged her onto their bed and began hitting and choking her while she was holding their child, the affidavit says.
He also threatened to kill her if he went to jail, the affidavit says.
The woman was able to flee with their son to a neighbor’s house. When police arrived, she had two swollen eyes and patches of hair were torn from parts of her head. The infant also had red marks on the sides of his eyes, the affidavit says.
When deputies asked Jones for a statement, he said “only that he loved his wife,” according to the affidavit.
Jones, of the 6200 block of Pontotoc Street, Baton Rouge, was booked into Parish Prison Friday on counts of domestic abuse battery, cruelty to a juvenile and simple assault.
Authorities arrest 8 on suspicion of DWI
Authorities arrested at least eight people suspected of driving while intoxicated in East Baton Rouge Parish — including a suspected fourth-offense DWI — and booked them into Parish Prison between 2:30 p.m. Friday and 2:30 p.m. Saturday, booking records show.
Those booked and the counts against them:
- Anthony Berg, 29, 113 Northeast, Okeechobee, Florida, first-offense DWI and reckless operation.
- Tanis Contreras, 28, 2201 Dos Arbolitos Ave., San Juan, Texas, fourth-offense DWI, stopping vehicle in roadway, driving over the median, driver’s license suspended or revoked and possession of alcohol in vehicle.
- Emily Gorham, 22, 13155 Bluff Road, Geismar, first-offense DWI, hit-and-run and reckless operation.
- Celeste Hebert, 26, 1748 S. Tamarix St., Baton Rouge, first-offense DWI, improper lane use, failure to signal and following too closely.
- Curry Jenkins, 36, 58824 Annex St., Plaquemine, first-offense DWI and possession of alcohol in vehicle.
- Paulino Mendez-Perez, 23, 8393 Siegen Lane, second-offense DWI, driver’s license required and seat belt violation.
- Kerry Patin, 21, 18296 Lake Harbor Lane, Prairieville, first-offense DWI, one-way street and reckless operation of vehicle.
- Raul Pena, 33, 1075 Manson Drive, Baton Rouge, first-offense DWI, speeding and possession of alcohol in vehicle.
Compiled from staff reports. To talk to a crime reporter at The Advocate, call (225) 388-0369.