Firefighters rescued a woman sleeping on a mattress that caught fire after a cigarette apparently sparked flames early Thursday morning in an Arcadia Drive home.

Baton Rouge firefighters were called shortly before 3 a.m. to 1244 Arcadia Drive and found light smoke coming from the house, a Baton Rouge Fire Department news release says.

A woman outside told them her daughter was still inside. Firefighters found her adult daughter sleeping in the back bedroom where she was lying on a flaming mattress, the release says.

Firefighters brought her outside for treatment by Baton Rouge emergency medical technicians, where staff found she had suffered from burns on her feet and smoke inhalation, according to the report. Her mother also suffered from smoke inhalation, the report says, and they were both taken to a hospital.

The fire was ruled accidental and appeared to have started from a cigarette, the release says, though Fire Department Spokesman Mark Miles could not say exactly how the cigarette led to the fire or whether it belonged to the woman sleeping in the house.

The fire was contained to the mattress, and the house was not damaged, according to the release.

About $10,000 worth of contents were damaged by the fire, though.