A Baton Rouge man was killed Sunday afternoon when he was struck by a truck in the 4500 block of North Street, according to a Police Department news release.
Andre Patin, 45, 4546 North St., was hit by a box truck while he was standing at the intersection of North Street and North Beck Street, the release says.
Patin was taken to a local hospital where he died from his injuries, the release says.
The crash is still under investigation, the release says.
Alcohol and speed are not considered factors in the accident, the release says.
The driver of the box truck has not been ticketed, the release says.
Cyclist hospitalized; police arrest driver
Police arrested a woman Saturday night after she struck a bicyclist while driving her car in the 4300 block of Plank Road, according to a Police Department news release.
Constance Archie, 44, 2262 68th St., was booked into Parish Prison on counts of DWI, reckless operation of a vehicle, improper lane usage and first-degree negligent injuring, according to the release.
The accident happened at 10:17 p.m. Saturday, the report says.
The cyclist was taken to a hospital and is in critical but stable condition, the release says.
The incident is still being investigated, and a lack of visibility is considered a factor in the crash, the release says.
No injuries reported in noon fire at house
A house fire around noon Sunday on Fairfields Avenue burned a kitchen, living room and attic but injured no one, according to a Fire Department news release.
The cause of the fire at 5523 Fairfields Ave. is still under investigation, but investigators said they do not believe foul play was involved, the release says.
Firefighters found the kitchen engulfed in flames when they arrived, the release says.
One person at home at the time of the fire escaped unharmed, the release says.
Heavy smoke and water damaged the rest of the house, the release says.
Authorities arrest 8 on suspicion of DWI
Authorities arrested at least eight people suspected of driving while intoxicated in East Baton Rouge Parish and booked them into Parish Prison between 2:30 p.m. Saturday and 2:30 p.m. Sunday, booking records show.
Those booked and the counts against them:
• Dwayne Badon, 36, 6155 Parkcrest Drive, first-offense DWI, speeding, driver’s license not in possession and improper lane usage.
• Antonio Calvacante, 35, 15035 Bamff Court, first-offense DWI, driver’s license required and improper lane usage.
• Craig Guillory, 40, 103 Catherine Circle, Vidalia, first-offense DWI, improper lane usage, driver’s license not in possession and reckless operation of a vehicle.
• Joshua Kliewer, 26, 2224 General Lee Ave., first-offense DWI, equipment violation, headlights required and reckless operation of a vehicle.
• Leigh Owens, 25, 7302 Proxie Drive, second-offense DWI, failure to obey stop sign or yield sign, resisting an officer, improper lane usage and driver’s license suspended or revoked.
• James Price, 26, 7140 Albany St., first-offense DWI, disobeying a red light and child restraint required.
• Matthew Rink, 50, 1695 Shawn Drive, first-offense DWI and speeding.
• Steve Spillers, 50, 19455 Perrilloux Road, Livingston, second-offense DWI and failure to maintain control.
Compiled from staff reports. To talk to a crime reporter at The Advocate, call (225) 388-0369.