The Baton Rouge Fire Department responded to a house fire Wednesday after the owner was notified by neighbors that his back porch was on fire, department spokesman Mark J. Miles said in a news release.
The owner of the residence at 2971 Sherwood St. said he heard a noise that sounded like fireworks, and it was later that someone knocked on the door to alert him of the fire. The owned called the fire department around 5 p.m., and firefighters brought it under control shortly after, the release says. The cause of the fire, which resulted in an estimated $15,000 worth of damage, has yet to be determined.
The Baton Rouge Police Department, the Emergency Medical Services, Entergy and Red Cross responded, in addition to the fire department.