A house on Bon Crest Avenue was heavily damaged Wednesday by a fire that started when the house’s owner left food cooking in the kitchen unattended, fire officials said.

Firefighters arrived at 204 Bon Crest in Baton Rouge just before 11 a.m. to find fire coming from the roof of the house, the Baton Rouge Fire Department said in a news release. The fire was under control at 11:11 a.m.

A neighbor helped the home’s owner, who is elderly and uses a wheelchair, to get out safely. No injuries were reported. The Red Cross was called to help the family.