A fire sparked early Friday from a generator placed too close to the vinyl siding of a home caused significant damage to the structure on J.L. Fairchild Road in Brownsfield.

Central firefighters were called to 16769 J.L. Fairchild at 2:07 a.m., Capt. Derek Glover said. With help from Pride, Zachary and Eastside firefighters, the blaze was out just before 3 a.m., Glover said.

Before being extinguished, the fire went up an outside wall of the home and into the attic, Glover said. Flames had punctured through the roof by the time firefighters arrived, he said.

Damaged to the home is estimated at $250,000.