Zachary man booked on cruelty to animals
When Zachary police officers drove out to Avenue F on Saturday after they received a report saying a man was threatening to release his pit bull on neighbors, they found the dog with bite marks on her face and throat as if she had been in a fight.
The dog’s owner, Kelvin Gray, 45, refused to answer questions, slurring his speech as if he was intoxicated, according to an affidavit of probable cause.
Other officers went to his home and found some of his dogs with inadequate food and water.
Gray, 4656 Ave. F, was booked into Parish Prison on counts of cruelty to animals and disturbing the peace by intoxication.
Police: Man chokes ex, suspects she cheated
A Baton Rouge man was arrested Sunday after admitting to police he broke into his ex-girlfriend’s home and choked her before she fought him off.
The victim said she woke up with Jonathen Bates, 23, on top of her, screaming he was going to kill her while his hands were wrapped around her throat, the affidavit of probable cause says. She fought him off while their 10-month-old son lay inches away from the victim.
Baton Rouge police found Bates at his home, at 1335 S. Sherwood Forest Blvd., and arrested him, the affidavit says. He admitted to breaking into the home and choking her because he thought she cheated on him.
Bates was booked into Parish Prison on counts of home invasion and domestic abuse battery strangulation.
Police say man stabs ex’s father in lung, arm
Baton Rouge police arrested an 18-year-old man accused of stabbing his ex-girlfriend’s father in the arm and lung late Saturday.
When officers arrived at a North Donmoor Avenue apartment complex, Jeremy Blouin, 18, told them he acted in self-defense after the victim kicked in the door, the affidavit of probable cause says.
However, when officers went to the hospital and talked to the victim and witnesses, they learned the victim did not kick the door in but knocked and was let in, the affidavit says.
Once inside the apartment, Blouin and the victim began arguing, and Blouin was thrown to the ground when he charged the older man.
Blouin then pulled a knife and stabbed the victim twice, once in the arm and once in the lung, the affidavit says.
While being booked into prison, police found prescription drugs that allegedly fell from Blouin’s belt, an affidavit says.
Blouin, 1174 N. Donmoor Ave., Apt. 2, Baton Rouge, was booked on counts of attempted second-degree murder, possession of a legend drug and bringing contraband into a penal institution.
Victim ID’d in deadly shooting on St. Gerard
Baton Rouge police identified Johnny Price as the victim of a fatal shooting that occurred just after 9 p.m. Saturday in the 5800 block of St. Gerard Avenue.
Police said Price, 23, was taken to a hospital Saturday where he was pronounced dead.
Police said details surrounding Price’s death are unclear. Late Saturday, a pickup truck with the driver’s side door open was in the middle of the street while police gathered evidence.
Neighbor Earnest Gross said he came out of his home when he heard a gunshot and found a man wearing a black shirt and black shorts lying face-down on the ground alongside a truck, and a woman screaming nearby.
Gross said he hopes to move out of the neighborhood soon — his 22-year-old stepson was shot and wounded two months ago within a block of Saturday’s shooting. The identity of the shooter has not been determined.
10 suspected of DWI in East Baton Rouge
Authorities arrested at least 10 people suspected of driving while intoxicated in East Baton Rouge Parish and booked them into Parish Prison between 2:30 p.m. Saturday and 2:30 p.m. Sunday, booking records show.
Those booked and the counts against them:
- Anthony Bonnecarrere, 17, 108 Houmas Court, Pearl River, first-offense DWI, reckless operation and equipment violation.
- Joshua Deutsch, 21, 6921 Whitlow Drive, Baton Rouge, first-offense DWI, failure to maintain control and reckless operation.
- Joshua Durum, 28, 11580 Perkins Road, Baton Rouge, first-offense DWI and speeding.
- Mary Gilbert, 23, 7366 Impson Drive, Denham Springs, first-offense DWI, reckless operation and following too close.
- Dustin Greene, 24, 4859 Glen Oaks Drive, Baton Rouge, third-offense DWI, inspection sticker violation, driver’s license required and headlights required.
- Leonard Hollingsworth, 41, 8391 Siegen Lane, Baton Rouge, second-offense DWI, possession of alcohol in vehicle, driver’s license suspended/revoked and improper lane usage.
- Ryan Parr, 24, 63670 Old La. 77, Plaquemine, first-offense DWI and stop sign/yield sign violation.
- Ramiro Ramirez, 22, 686 Monet Drive, Baton Rouge, first-offense DWI and tail lamps required.
- Jose Gresham Roberson, 28, 5957 St. Katherine Ave., Baton Rouge, second-offense DWI, driver’s license required/expired, seat belt violation and reckless operation.
- Christian Woodin, 20, 7301 Canal St., New Orleans, first-offense DWI, reckless operation and failure to maintain control.
Compiled from staff reports. To talk to a crime reporter at The Advocate, call (225) 388-0369.