The East Baton Rouge Parish Coroner’s Officer reported Sunday that the victim in Saturday’s fatal fire died from smoke inhalation as a result of the fire.
Parish Coroner Dr. Beau Clark said his office ruled the death of James Crockett, 64, as accidental due to smoke inhalation with carbon monoxide poisoning.
Crockett was found in a hallway in his home at 7426 Greenwell St., by firefighters while his house was fully engulfed in flames.
He was given emergency medical care at the scene, but was pronounced dead by doctors at Baton Rouge General Medical Center upon arrival.
State Fire Marshal Butch Browning said investigators narrowed the fire’s origin point to the stove in the kitchen, but have not determined the cause.
He said Crockett was not cooking at the time of the fire, so they are taking apart the stove to see if an electric malfunction led to the fire.
A Metairie man was arrested early Sunday after he allegedly grabbed the crotch of a L’Auberge Hotel and Casino employee.
East Baton Rouge Parish sheriff’s deputies booked Kash Colby Guidry, 29, 705 N. Turnbull Drive, into Parish Prison on one count of sexual battery.
The incident occurred at about 2 a.m. at one of the gaming tables, the affidavit of probable cause says.
The victim said she was called over to the table in regards to a suspicious person and while her attention was diverted to a different table, Guidry slid his hand between her legs and grabbed her crotch, the affidavit says. A dealer corroborated the victim’s story.
Guidry denied the incident occurred, the affidavit says.
Authorities arrested at least 12 people suspected of driving while intoxicated in East Baton Rouge Parish — including a Zachary woman on a fourth-offense DWI — and booked them into Parish Prison between 2:30 p.m. Saturday and 2:30 p.m. Sunday, booking records show.
Those booked and the counts against them:
- Rachael Hobgood, 31, 7241 Line Road, Ethel, fourth-offense DWI, improper lane usage and unlawful refusal to submit to a chemical test.
- Jose Alwarado, 38, 9061 Prescott Road, Baton Rouge, first-offense DWI, driver’s license required and simple obstruction of a public highway.
- Curtis Boudreaux, 35, 11248 Emerson Road, Geismar, first-offense DWI, improper lane usage, improper turn, driver’s license suspended/revoked and reckless operation.
- Corey Brown, 23, 1100 Buddy Ellis Road, Denham Springs, first-offense DWI and disobeying a red light.
- Robert Cagle, 21, 822 Mahongany Run, Katy, Texas, first-offense DWI, driver’s license not in possession, disobeying a red light and reckless operation.
- Michael Calloway, 57, 3590 Osceola St., Baton Rouge, first-offense DWI, reckless operation and improper lane usage.
- Stephanie Carroll, 27, 4034 Hyacinth Ave., Baton Rouge, first-offense DWI and improper turn.
- Dominic Clust, 21, 4445 Alvin Dark Ave., Baton Rouge, first-offense DWI, improper lane usage and reckless operation.
- Majid Dabit, 18, 3229 McLendon Court, Baton Rouge, first-offense DWI, speeding and driver’s license not on person.
- Ronald Love, 32, 9999 Florida Blvd., Walker, first-offense DWI and speeding.
- Sydney Staehle, 19, 1512 Gardenia Drive, Metairie, first-offense DWI and disobeying control device.
- Torery Underwood, 23, 30119 Barnett Road, Denham Springs, first-offense DWI and reckless operation.
Compiled from staff reports. To talk to a crime reporter at The Advocate, call (225) 388-0369.