Two sought in armed robbery of restaurant
Detectives are investigating the Tuesday night robbery of the Chicken Shack restaurant on North Acadian Thruway.
Two men armed with handguns entered the restaurant through an employee entrance shortly before 11 p.m. while employees were cleaning, said Cpl. L’Jean McKneely, a Baton Rouge police spokesman.
The pair demanded employees give them money from the registers, and upon receiving an undisclosed amount of cash the two men fled, McKneely said.
Both suspects are described as black males, one approximately 20 years old, between 5 feet 8 inches and 5 feet 10 inches tall, heavily built and wearing a blue McKinley High School pullover and gray pants.
He also had a rubber glove on his right hand and a light-colored bandana.
The other man is described as approximately 20 years old, between 5 feet 5 inches and 5 feet 7 inches tall with a medium build. He was wearing a black hooded sweat shirt, dark pants and had a dark bandana covering his face, McKneely said.
There were no injuries reported.
Anyone with any information on this robbery is urged to contact the Armed Robbery Division at (225) 389-3845 or Crime Stoppers at (225) 344-7867.
Man, 31, booked in alleged car theft scam
Baton Rouge police arrested a man Wednesday accused of selling his truck to a junk yard in December 2012 then reporting it stolen more than a year later.
Police booked Christopher D. Bryant, 31, 206 W. Garfield St., Baton Rouge, into Parish Prison on counts of injuring public records, booking records show.
Bryant sold his 1999 Chevrolet Suburban to Pull-A-Part Used Auto Parts on Greenwell Springs Road in December 2012, according to an affidavit of probable cause.
In mid-March, he filed a stolen vehicle report with police claiming the same vehicle had been stolen from the 2000 block of South Sherwood Forest Boulevard, the affidavit says.
“The vehicle had been sold as junk in the year 2012 and was later crushed, before the time frame of the alleged theft,” a detective wrote in the affidavit.
BR man arrested in break-in, shootings
Baton Rouge police arrested a man Tuesday accused of breaking into a Progress Street home with several other men by kicking in a door then opening fire once inside the home.
Police booked Kevin Wayne Guillory Jr., 22, 7880 Bayou Fountain Ave., Baton Rouge, into Parish Prison on two counts of attempted first-degree murder and one count each of aggravated burglary and illegal use of a weapon, said Cpl. Don Coppola Jr., a police spokesman.
The break-in and shooting happened in the 900 block of Progress Street around 5:20 a.m. April 18, Coppola said.
Guillory, along with several other armed men, allegedly kicked in the door and began shooting. During the gunfire, in which four guns were fired, one woman was shot and wounded , Coppola said.
Guillory later showed up at a hospital with a gunshot wound to his leg, Coppola said.
In a text message sent by Guillory the day before the shooting, he told someone that he planned on acquiring a “choppa,” a slang term used to describe assault rifles.
Investigators found an assault rifle near the Progress Street home after the shooting, Coppola said.
Investigators also learned that Guillory sent a text message after the shooting.
In it, he wrote, “No weed in da house,” police said.
Police are still looking for other people involved in the shooting.
Mom, daughter booked in stabbing and fight
Baton Rouge police arrested a 32-year-old woman and her daughter, a minor, in a Tuesday afternoon stabbing that wounded four people, police said.
Police booked Joycelyn Carter, 32, 5434 Enterprise St., Baton Rouge, into Parish Prison on counts of principal to aggravated second-degree battery and principal to attempted second-degree murder, booking records show.
Carter’s daughter, who is under the age of 17, was booked into the East Baton Rouge Juvenile Detention Center on counts of aggravated second-degree battery and attempted second-degree murder, said Cpl. Don Coppola Jr., a police spokesman.
Carter is accused of leading a caravan of three cars to a home in the 4700 block of Byron Street about 3:45 p.m. on April 22 with the intent of starting a fight, Coppola said.
Once she and at least four of her children arrived, a fight ensued in which four people were injured, including a 37-year-old woman who was stabbed in the back with a knife, Coppola said.
The other people who were injured, no ages available, were taken to a different hospital than the 37-year-old woman.
Deputies seek man in shooting injury
East Baton Rouge Parish sheriff’s deputies are looking for a man who shot another man Wednesday afternoon near an apartment complex off Old Hammond Highway.
The shooting happened shortly before 5 p.m. near Azalea Park Avenue, which is just off Old Hammond Highway near Millerville Road.
The man who was shot, no age available, did not appear to suffer life-threatening injures, said Casey Rayborn Hicks, a spokeswoman for the Sheriff’s Office.
No other information was available about the shooting late Wednesday.
Authorities book three on suspicion of DWI
Authorities arrested at least three people suspected of driving while intoxicated in East Baton Rouge Parish and booked them into Parish Prison between 2:30 p.m. Tuesday and 2:30 p.m. Wednesday, booking records show.
Those booked and the counts against them:
- Bonnie Marchand, 68, 42073 La. 42, Prairieville, first-offense DWI and careless operation.
- Louis Stewart, 52, 8633 Joor Road, Baton Rouge, second-offense DWI, speeding, driving left of center and driving with a suspended or revoked driver’s license.
- Quenton Williams, 32, 2153 Goudchaux St., Baton Rouge, third-offense DWI, driving with a suspended or revoked driver’s license and distribution or manufacturing Schedule I drugs.
Compiled from staff reports. To talk to a crime reporter at The Advocate, call (225) 388-0369.