2 men accused of shooting teen
Baton Rouge police have arrested two men accused of shooting and wounding a teen on Canonicus Street earlier this month.
The victim told police he was walking in the 3500 block of Canonicus Street on Nov. 11 when Jermain Nicholas, 27, and Carlos Sterling, 26, drove past him in a white Cadillac, according to the affidavits of probable cause.
After the Cadillac passed the teen, it braked to a halt and started backing up, and the youth took off running, the affidavit says. As he reached the end of the block, Sterling and Nicholas had jumped out of the car and fired shots at him, the affidavits say.
The teen was armed as well, and fired back — but was shot in the arm and taken to the hospital with non-life threatening injuries, the affidavits say.
The victim told police the two men had “severely beaten his cousin a few months prior and they have been trying to kill him,” according to the affidavits.
Sterling was also booked for an alleged battery on April 27, when police say he walked up to the two victims and beat one into unconsciousness with a pistol, the affidavit says.
Sterling was out on parole for a vehicular homicide charge.
Sterling, of 4935 Sycamore St., Baton Rouge, was booked into Parish Prison on counts of attempted second-degree murder, aggravated battery, possession of a firearm by a convicted felon and illegal use of a weapon. Nicholas, of 3615 Geronimo St., was booked on counts of attempted second-degree murder and illegal use of a weapon.
Authorities arrest 10 suspected of DWI
Authorities arrested at least 10 people suspected of driving while intoxicated in East Baton Rouge Parish, including one on a fifth-offense DWI, and booked them into Parish Prison between 2:30 p.m. Thursday and 2:30 p.m. Saturday, booking records show.
Those booked and the counts against them:
- Ronald O’Conner, 47, 5625 Guice Drive, Baton Rouge, fifth-offense DWI, open container/public drinking violation and reckless operation.
- Jermaine Cotton, 33, 8078 E. Belvin Ave., Baton Rouge, first-offense DWI, careless operation, driver’s license expired and speeding.
- Daniel Ennis, 59, 2050 Ory Drive, Brusly, first-offense DWI, disobeying other laws of the road and careless driving.
- Isabella Hicks, 20, 1691 Greenwood Mooringsport Road, Shreveport, first-offense DWI and reckless operation.
- Brandy Kerr, 26, 556 Blanchard St., Baton Rouge, first-offense DWI and improper lane usage.
- Roger Knight, 41, 6989 Celia Drive, Baton Rouge, first-offense DWI, reckless operation, driver’s license suspended or revoked and seatbelt violation.
- Tasmin Knockum, 30, 11959 Nicholson Drive, Baton Rouge, first-offense DWI and reckless operation.
- John Portwood, 22, 16655 Highland Road, Baton Rouge, first-offense DWI and reckless operation of a vehicle.
- James Tunnard, 64, 18536 Fairway Drive, Baton Rouge, first-offense DWI and improper lane usage.
- Michael Wall, 36, 7933 Blets Ave., Baton Rouge, second-offense DWI, failure to maintain control, reckless operation of vehicle.
Compiled from staff reports. To talk to a crime reporter at The Advocate, call (225) 388-0369.