Man, 21, arrested for shooting at woman, girl
Baton Rouge police on Saturday arrested a man accused of using his truck to block a vehicle on May 5 while another man stood up in the truck’s bed and shot at a woman and her 6-year-old child inside the vehicle multiple times with a handgun.
Police booked Tyronn Collins, 21, 2556 Thomas H. Delpit Drive, Baton Rouge, into Parish Prison on counts of attempted first-degree murder and aggravated criminal damage to property.
Collins sped away after the shooting that occurred in the 100 block of Taft Street, according to his arrest warrant.
The warrant does not say if the woman or the child were injured in the shooting, but it does say bullets struck their vehicle multiple times.
Police continue to search for the alleged shooter, Antonio Switzer, 25, 446 E. Buchanan St., Baton Rouge, according to the warrant for Switzer’s arrest.
The victim identified Collins as the driver and Switzer as the shooter.
Sunshine man, 72, killed in wreck on Siegen Lane
A 72-year-old Sunshine man was killed Sunday afternoon after he was thrown from his motorcycle when it struck a curb on Siegen Lane just north of Perkins Road, a State Police spokesman said.
Thomas W. Duke was pronounced dead by the East Baton Rouge Parish Coroner’s Office following the 1 p.m. accident, Trooper 1st Class Jared Sandifer said.
Duke was driving his 2002 Harley-Davidson south on Siegen Lane when it ran off the road to the right, struck a concrete curb and threw Duke from the motorcycle, Sandifer said.
Driver distraction may be a factor in the crash, Sandifer said.
Duke was wearing a helmet, but it was not one that is approved by the Department of Transportation, Sandifer said.
Troopers closed both southbound lanes for about two hours following the accident, Sandifer said.
The crash remains under investigation.
Authorities arrest 13 suspected of DWI
Authorities arrested at least 13 people suspected of driving while intoxicated in East Baton Rouge Parish — including a man on a fourth-offense DWI — and booked them into Parish Prison between 2:30 p.m. Saturday and 2:30 p.m. Sunday, booking records show.
Those booked and the counts against them:
- Freddrick Thomas, 33, 2629 Fairfield Ave., Baton Rouge, fourth-offense DWI, driver’s license suspended/revoked, reckless operation and improper lane usage.
- Andrew Badeaux, 27, 9108 Mason Drive, Baton Rouge, first-offense DWI, headlights required and driver’s license suspended/revoked.
- Roy Bell, 42, 2022 N. Lobdell, Baton Rouge, first-offense DWI, improper lane usage and reckless operation.
- Marlon Brown, 48, 1712 Mast Drive, Baton Rouge, first-offense DWI, improper turn, possession of alcohol in vehicle and failure to register vehicle.
- Shedrick Butler, 30, 7211 Melpomene Drive, Baker, third-offense DWI and careless operation.
- Roderick Clemons, 28, 352 Stark Road, Jackson, Georgia, third-offense DWI, driver’s license suspended/revoked and improper lane usage.
- Austin Hickerson, 23, 3781 Elm St., Baton Rouge, first-offense DWI, headlights required, text messaging prohibited and disobeying a red light.
- Andrew Lowery, 24, 1657 Stoneleigh Drive, Baton Rouge, second-offense DWI and reckless operation.
- Shelby Medrne, 19, 2141 Firewood Drive, Baton Rouge, first-offense DWI, reckless operation and turns not allowed.
- Samuel Owen, 22, 31048 Linder Road, Denham Springs, first-offense DWI, careless driving and improper turn.
- Adam Prince, 31, 1074 Kennon Drive, Baker, second-offense DWI, improper lane usage, driver’s license required/expired and reckless operation.
- Kendric Warren, 31, 10091 Avenue B St., Baton Rouge, first-offense DWI, stop sign/yield sign violation and reckless operation.
- David Williams, 55, 10769 Alco Road, Baton Rouge, first-offense DWI, failure to change driver’s license address and improper lane usage.
Compiled from staff reports. To talk to a crime reporter at The Advocate, call (225) 388-0369.