A man arrested in the kidnapping of a 2-year-old in May also was booked June 17 on a count of second-degree murder in the shooting death of the child’s mother, Baton Rouge police spokesman Cpl. L’Jean McKneely confirmed Monday.

Curtis King and his live-in girlfriend, Daaria Thomas, were arrested May 7 in the kidnapping of A’Kyleana Louise Latham from her Louisiana Avenue home May 2 and accused of taking her to his South Harrell’s Ferry Drive apartment. King and Thomas are accused of keeping the child for three days before dropping her off May 5 at The Women’s Help Center on Scenic Highway.

The child’s mother, Taylor Latham, 24, was found shot to death May 4 inside a Ford Mustang near her Louisiana Avenue home. Police said she was killed about the time her daughter was taken from the home.

King, 24, now is accused of second-degree murder in Latham’s death in addition to a count of aggravated kidnapping of a child.

Police have not issued any further details, and police reports were not available Monday evening.

“We just found out about it today,” McKneely said of the murder count.

“We still haven’t gotten anything from the detectives,” said Lt. Jonathan Dunnam, another Baton Rouge police spokesman.

Latham and her daughter had lived in Baton Rouge only a few months, having recently moved from Texas.

While investigating the killing, homicide detectives learned Latham “had recently been involved with a black male known only as ‘King,’ ” according to a police report in May, which also said a witness identified “King” as 24-year-old Curtis King. The report didn’t specify how the two were involved, but a police spokesman later described it as an “off-and-on relationship.”

King also is awaiting trial on a second-degree cruelty to a juvenile charge. He was arrested in November 2013 following the death of his 6-month-old son, Aiden King.

A Coroner’s Office investigation determined Aiden’s primary cause of death was an inability to breathe in an oversized bed, but there wasn’t enough evidence to determine whether the death was a homicide or an accident.

The infant was found unresponsive in a bed in October and was taken off life support several weeks later. Throughout his short life, Aiden also reportedly suffered multiple rib fractures and significant burns after being placed in scalding bath water.

An East Baton Rouge Parish grand jury declined to indict King on second-degree murder in March 2014, instead choosing to charge him with second-degree cruelty to a juvenile and possession with intent to distribute marijuana.

When he was initially being booked into Parish Prison on a murder count in the death of his son, King’s bail was set at $170,000. After the grand jury declined to indict him on the murder count, the bail was lowered to $20,000.

King posted it and was released on March 26, 2014, court records show.

In addition to the cruelty charge, King was accused of placing his son in the bed while he prepared marijuana for sale. Authorities found nearly a pound of marijuana inside his home when they searched it in 2013.

Follow Annie Ourso on Twitter, @AnnieOurso.