An apparent malfunction in a fire alarm system at the state Capitol led a Baton Rouge Fire Department HAZMAT team to scour parts of the building Monday night.
A chemical fire suppression system in a computer room on the first floor of the Capitol activated around 9 p.m., said Baton Rouge Fire Department spokesman Curt Monte, but firefighters rushing to the building didn't find any sign of a fire.
"One of the Halon system activated, but they couldn't figure out why," Monte said, referring to a chemical agent used to combat fires. "It seems to be a malfunction in the alarm system."
A hazardous materials team checked air quality throughout the building but didn't find any issues, Monte said.