Off-duty Baton Rouge police officer accused of slamming man’s head onto concrete floor several times during barroom fight _lowres

Lt. Charles Eddleman

A high-ranking Baton Rouge police officer allegedly involved in a bar fight in Port Vincent was arrested Sunday and later placed on leave, officials said.

Lt. Charles Lee Eddleman, of 27174 Satsuma Road, Livingston, is accused of grabbing another person from behind at the Blues Bar in the 18000 block of La. 16 in Port Vincent about 10 p.m. Saturday and “slamming him head first onto a concrete floor,” according to the Port Vincent police report.

Eddleman, who was off duty at the time, punched the other man “several times in the back of the head, causing the victim to lose consciousness,” Port Vincent Police Cpl. Waylon Stafford wrote in the report.

The statement alleges Eddleman “picked up the victim and then dropped his limp body back to the floor multiple times.”

Port Vincent Police Chief Matthew Allen declined to comment on the victim’s condition when asked late Monday afternoon.

Allen confirmed Eddleman was arrested early Sunday on one count of aggravated second-degree battery but declined to comment further.

Eddleman was arrested at Our Lady of the Lake Livingston hospital in Walker and booked into the Livingston Parish jail, according to the report, although it is unclear why the officer was at the hospital.

Eddleman, a 23-year veteran of the Baton Rouge Police Department who is now a shift supervisor in the uniform patrol division, was placed on paid administrative leave pending an internal investigation, Baton Rouge police Cpl. Don Coppola said.

In 2004, Eddleman was arrested on a count of driving while intoxicated but pleaded no contest to lesser charges, according to an article in The Advocate.

After pleading no contest to negligent injury, reckless operation of a vehicle and running a stop sign, he was given three 90-day suspended sentences by Judge Bruce Bennett, of the 21st Judicial District Court, fined $829 and put on probation for two years, according to the article.

The officer initially refused to take a breath test or field sobriety test when he was stopped.

On Sunday, Eddleman was released from the Livingston Parish jail after having posted a $15,000 bond a few hours after he had been booked, said Livingston Parish sheriff’s spokeswoman Lori Steele.