An apartment a few blocks southeast of Southern University caught fire Wednesday morning after a woman fell asleep while cooking, the Baton Rouge Fire Department said.

The woman escaped her apartment, in the 1500 block of 78th Avenue, before firefighters arrived around 10 a.m., the Fire Department said.

No one was injured in the blaze.

Mark Miles, a Fire Department spokesman, said the resident had stepped away from her kitchen to sit on a sofa for a minute.

“Before she knew it, she’d fallen asleep,” Miles said.

When some neighbors saw smoke coming from the apartment, they knocked on the woman’s door and woke her up, enabling her escape, Miles said.

Firefighters prevented the blaze from spreading to other units at the apartment complex in Southern Heights. At least two other units also were damaged by smoke from the fire, Miles said.

The American Red Cross responded to assist apartment complex residents.