Child playing with candle starts fire
A child playing with a candle Friday morning started a fire that burned through the living room and kitchen of a house at 1566 Goudchaux St., the Baton Rouge Fire Department said.
Firefighters arrived at 8:14 a.m. and had the fire under control by 8:46 a.m., department Public Information Officer Mark Miles said.
While the fire was contained to the kitchen and living room and the attic spaces above them, the rest of the home sustained heavy smoke damage, he said.
Damage is estimated at $35,000 to the $70,000 home, plus another $15,000 in contents damage.
“The minor child will be counseled and placed in the Baton Rouge Fire Department’s Juvenile Fire Setter Program,” Miles said.
Authorities book four suspected of DWI
Authorities arrested at least four people suspected of driving while intoxicated in East Baton Rouge Parish and booked them into Parish Prison between 2:30 p.m. Thursday and 2:30 p.m. Friday, booking records show.
Those booked and the counts against them:
- Morgan DeGruise, 19, 1500 Brightside Drive, Baton Rouge, underage DWI, failure to signal while turning, improper lane usage and reckless operation.
- Clint Eilbeck, 39, 18423 White Oak Drive, Prairieville, first-offense DWI, motor vehicle inspection required, headlights required, fleeing to elude police and reckless operation.
- Glenn Griffin, 32, 2570 Eaton St., Baton Rouge, first-offense DWI, drinking in a motor vehicle, failure to signal while turning, reckless operation and driver’s license not in possession.
- Nathan Herig, 35, 1033 Wyatt Drive, Baton Rouge, first-offense DWI.
Compiled from staff reports. To talk to a crime reporter at The Advocate, call (225) 388-0369.