A child playing with a lighter caused a house fire Thursday morning at 4771 Monarch Ave., according to a Baton Rouge Fire Department news release.

All four residents escaped from the house unharmed, the release says.

Firefighters got a call reporting the blaze at 5:37 a.m., the release says.

The fire destroyed one bedroom and extended into the attic before it was brought under control, the release says.

The child involved was counseled at the scene by fire investigators and will be entered into a juvenile education program about the danger of fire, the release says.