Detectives in East Baton Rouge Parish investigated 63 homicides in 2014. These killings generally reflect those classified as homicides under the FBI’s Uniform Crime Reporting standards. They exclude accidental, justifiable and negligent killings.
- 1 JAN. 7: Michael Taylor Sr., 53, of Baton Rouge, died nearly a week after being struck in the head with a tire iron during a family brawl on Convention Street on New Year’s Day. In May, James Dean, 23, of Baton Rouge, was indicted on a count of second-degree murder in Taylor’s death. Dean pleaded not guilty in June.
- 2 JAN. 13: Patrick Williams, 16, was fatally shot inside his St. Joseph Street home. In April, Devon Bowie, 20, who lived at the same house, was indicted on a count of second-degree murder in Williams’ death. Bowie’s mother and sister also were arrested, accused of lying to police about their relative’s whereabouts during the investigation. Bowie pleaded not guilty in May.
- 3 JAN. 16: Maura Baquedano, 29, died after she was struck in the head with a hammer. Police named Antonio Baquedano, 38, as a suspect in his cousin’s death. Police said Antonio Baquedano told family members that he killed his cousin before fleeing. Police are still looking for him.
- 4 JAN. 31: Michael Rogers, 52, was found shot to death inside a shed behind a McKinley Street home. Rogers was working for the people who lived inside the home in exchange for lodging in the shed. No arrest has been made.
- 5 FEB. 7: Marvin Thomas, 18, of St. Gabriel, was fatally shot outside a corner store near the intersection of South 15th Street and Terrace Avenue. Police said Thomas was in the wrong place at the wrong time. Police arrested Corey Scott, 18, and in May, Scott was indicted on a count of second-degree murder. Also in May, Harold Retana, 18, pleaded guilty to a count of simple battery for his role in the events leading up to Thomas’ death and was given a six-month sentence. Retana told police he fought with Thomas outside the store after bumping into Thomas inside the store. Retana told police he saw Scott, Retana’s friend, shoot Thomas after Retana slammed Thomas to the ground during the scuffle. Scott’s case is pending.
- 6 FEB. 11: Devonta Jenks, 18, of Baton Rouge, was found shot to death in a breezeway of a Denham Street apartment complex. Police said Jamal Variste, 19, fatally shot Jenks in a fit of jealousy over a woman. At the time of the shooting, the woman was pregnant with Jenks’ child, police said. Variste was indicted in June on a count of second-degree murder in Jenks’ death, and Variste later pleaded not guilty.
- 7 FEB. 13: Timothy Thomas, 18, of Baton Rouge, was shot in the head outside the Park East Apartments off Sharp Lane. Police said two men robbed Thomas at gunpoint, stealing drugs and money from him. As Thomas fled, Tramion Catherine, now 18, shot Thomas several times, fatally wounding him, according to police. A grand jury indicted Catherine on a count of second-degree murder on June 5.
- 8 FEB. 14: John Bannon, 55, died about two weeks after being violently attacked while walking near his home in a neighborhood just north of Staring Lane. According to police, two teens are accused of attacking Bannon, choosing him as their target simply because he was walking near them. The two teens — Windall Herring, now 20, and Donnell Harris, now 16 — were indicted in March on counts of second-degree murder in Bannon’s death. Harris was 15 at the time of Bannon’s death, but he was charged as an adult in the killing.
- 9 MARCH 14: Trayvel Aites, 19, was found shot to death in the backyard of his Frey Street home. No arrest has been made.
- 10 MARCH 19: Emanuelle Myles, 24, was fatally shot on La Margie Avenue while standing in a group of people watching a fight. Police said Brandon Austin Boyd, 17 at the time, walked up to the crowd and opened fire, fatally striking Myles. Boyd was later indicted on one count each of second-degree murder and attempted second-degree murder. In November, a sanity commission found Boyd competent to stand trial.
- 11 MARCH 24: Lucinda Ann White, 30, was fatally shot in the head while climbing a ladder in her Toulon Street home. Her boyfriend, Jason Bringier, initially told deputies White shot herself. Deputies later determined Bringier, 33, was the one who shot his girlfriend. He was indicted in July on a count of second-degree murder.
- 12 MARCH 27: Corinthian Robertson, 23, was one of three people shot after an argument escalated outside a Dan Drive home. The other two people shot survived the shooting. Sheriff’s deputies arrested Cedric Glasper, 25, the day after the shooting, saying he and another man opened fire on Robertson and the others. A grand jury later took no action on a possible indictment of Glasper in the killing.
- 13,14,15 MARCH 28: Three teenage students — Marcell Ideal Franklin, 15; Kendal Kemone Dorsey, 15; and Diontrey Jermaine Claiborne, 18 — were killed during a birthday bash at the Baker Civic Club. A fourth teenager who was shot in the face survived his injuries. Authorities arrested Nakeydran L. Williams, 16, the day after the shooting, accusing him of opening fire on a crowded dance floor. Williams was charged as an adult with three counts of second-degree murder and one count of attempted second-degree murder. He pleaded not guilty in June.
- 16 APRIL 2: After opening the door to his North 35th Street home, Travis Mitchell, 25, was met with a shower of bullets. Mitchell was killed in the shooting, and a woman inside the house was injured. Police arrested Christopher Jackson, 22, in June. Police are still looking for at least one other unidentified shooter. A grand jury indicted Jackson in October on one count of first-degree murder.
- 17 APRIL 8: Alexander Jason Scott, 38, of Baton Rouge, was found shot to death in a canal near BREC’s Gus Young Park. No arrest has been made.
- 18 APRIL 19: Eddie Lee Marshall, 63, of Baton Rouge, was found fatally shot in the early afternoon at the corner of East Polk and Tennessee streets. A woman also was shot, but she survived. No arrest has been made.
- 19 APRIL 30: Calvin Gholar, 49, was shot to death after his car ran out of gas near Scenic Highway. Gholar, of Baton Rouge, was walking with a gas can on Scenic near Mulberry Street when he was shot. No arrest has been made.
- 20 MAY 1: Elbert Marshall, 29, of Baton Rouge, was fatally shot in what police described as a prearranged killing. Steaphon Harris, 25, is accused of arranging the murder, and Demond Bessie, 24, is accused of fulfilling the hit, according to police. Both men were charged with one count each of second-degree murder in Marshall’s death, and both pleaded not guilty.
- 21 MAY 3: Noel Beauchamp, 56, was fatally shot while driving with his wife on Airline Highway. Euphoria Beauchamp, 51, told police she killed her husband in self-defense, but investigators later determined that her story did not add up, and she was arrested. She was indicted several weeks ago with one count of second-degree murder in her husband’s death.
- 22 MAY 9: Austin D. Stewart, 22, was found shot to death inside his car on Swart Street. Police said Brandon White, 31, killed Stewart after robbing him. Authorities located White in Georgia several months after Stewart’s death and arrested him. No charges have been filed.
- 23 MAY 17: Michael Patterson, 19, died three months after being shot on Valentine’s Day outside his Huron Street apartment. Travon Scott, who was 16 at the time of the shooting, initially was charged as an adult with attempted second-degree murder. After Patterson died, the charge was upgraded to second-degree murder. Scott, now 17, pleaded not guilty.
- 24 MAY 18: Chester Oakley, 77, was found buried in a tomato garden in the backyard of his Alvin Dark Avenue home. Police said Douglas Studeman, 54, bludgeoned Oakley to death and then buried him in the yard. Studeman was living with Oakley at the time of the killing. Studeman was indicted on second-degree murder in August.
- 25,26 MAY 19: Orok Ironbar, 32, and Russell Celestine, 31, were fatally shot during an incident at a Gardere Lane apartment that investigators described as an armed robbery disguised as a drug deal. In November, sheriff’s deputies arrested Charles Lanaute, 19, and Darrius Montel Miller, 21, both of St. Gabriel, on counts of armed robbery and first-degree murder. Deputies also are still looking for Plug Lanaute, 19, who is accused of participating in the crime. Charges have not been filed against any of the three men accused in the murder-robbery.
- 27 MAY 22: Andrew Johnson, 22, of Baker, was fatally shot during “a drug deal gone bad” outside of the Warren House apartments near Airline Highway and Greenwell Springs Road, according to police. Police arrested Jordan E. Winding, 21, and Jessie James Schiele, 27, following the shooting. According to police documents, Winding and Johnson were scheduled to meet Schiele for a drug deal. Johnson approached Schiele’s car with a gun, and after that, it’s unclear who shot first. Johnson died the next day at a hospital, and Schiele wasn’t shot. Winding, of Baton Rouge, and Schiele, of Zachary, were charged in August with one count each of possession of a firearm by a convicted felon.
- 28 MAY 31: Nicholas Brumfield, 23, of Baton Rouge, was fatally shot at about 10 p.m. at Red’s Auto Upholstery on Greenwell Springs Road, where Brumfield worked. No arrest has been made.
- 29 JUNE 8: Kentrail Thompson, 22, of Baton Rouge, was found shot to death at about 9:25 p.m. inside his car on Crestway Avenue. No arrest has been made.
- 30 JUNE 11: Earl Wade Jr., 51, of Baton Rouge, was found stabbed to death inside his car on Greenwell Springs Road at about 2:45 a.m. No arrest has been made.
- 31 JUNE 14: Jeffery Francois, 28, of Baton Rouge, was found fatally shot in a driveway on Underwood Avenue at about 10:30 p.m. No arrest has been made.
- 32 JUNE 21: Jonathan Carter, 34, of Baton Rouge, was shot in the face in Scotlandville near Avenue D at about 9 p.m. He later died at a hospital. No arrest has been made.
- 33 JUNE 24: Roman Epting, 28, was found fatally shot inside an abandoned home on Brice Street. No arrest has been made.
- 34 JULY 1: Enorris Jones, 52, died about two weeks after suffering a broken jaw in a beating on North 31st Street. After complications during a surgery, according to police documents, Jones slipped into a coma. He died after being taken off a ventilator. A witness told police that Larry Paul, 19, and another man pulled Jones out of a car and beat him badly. A grand jury in October took no action on a possible indictment of Paul.
- 35 JULY 5: Stanley Pritchett, 58, was fatally stabbed in the bedroom of the North Street boarding house where he lived. No arrest has been made.
- 36 JULY 9: Major Brown, 29, was found shot to death in some grass outside his Cate Avenue home. Police said two people knocked on Brown’s door asking for a lighter. Brown stepped away to retrieve one, and when he returned, the people attacked him and attempted to rob him, police said. During the struggle, Brown was shot multiple times. Police later found the DNA of Demond Bessie, 23, on a cellphone outside of Brown’s home. Police arrested Bessie on a count of first-degree murder. No charges have been filed, although Bessie was indicted with one count of second-degree murder in the May killing of Elbert Marshall.
- 37 JULY 10: Travis Jones, 22, of Baton Rouge, was found fatally shot in the middle of South 17th Street at about 10:15 p.m. Police identified the shooter as Marlon Romaine Carter, 42, of Zachary, and arrested him on a count of second-degree murder. In November, he was charged with two counts of second-degree murder — one related to Jones’ death and another related to the death four days later of Charles Vincent.
- 38 JULY 12: Javontia Davis, 24, of Baton Rouge, was found lying in a roadway in front of his Wenonah Street home by police officers working a nearby traffic detail on Plank Road. Davis died from a gunshot wound. A grand jury indicted Tajh Michol Harris, 22, of Baton Rouge, in Davis’ death.
- 39 JULY 14: Charles Vincent, 59, was fatally shot just after midnight across the street from a Greyhound bus station on Florida Boulevard. In November, a grand jury charged Marlon Romaine Carter with two counts of second-degree murder — one in Vincent’s death and another in the July 10 killing of 22-year-old Travis Jones.
- 40 JULY 14: Firefighters responded to an Eaton Street home that was engulfed in flames. Inside, they found the home’s resident, 35-year-old La-Ross Cortez Davis, dead from a gunshot wound. The fire department said the blaze was set intentionally. No arrest has been made.
- 41 JULY 20: Travis Denzel Polk, 21, was shot several times on Mission Street on July 19. He later died at a hospital. No arrest has been made.
- 42 AUG. 12: Kedrick Ricard, 28, was fatally shot outside a North Ardenwood apartment complex while delivering diapers to his girlfriend’s apartment for their young children. One of Ricard’s family members said Ricard looked at a man and a woman arguing outside the apartment, which didn’t sit well with the man. The man then pulled out a gun and fired wildly into a group of people including Ricard, the family member said. Eric Gerard Johnson, 24, of Baton Rouge, was indicted in December with one count of second-degree murder.
- 43 AUG. 17: While riding home from a family reunion with his parents and siblings, 7-year-old Terrez Coleman was fatally struck by a bullet that was fired into the family’s moving vehicle on Prescott Road. One of his sisters also was grazed by the bullet. Sheriff’s Office investigators released a grainy picture of a vehicle possibly connected to the shooting. No arrest has been made.
- 44 AUG. 20: Jay’v’une Bergin, 5, died from blunt force trauma injuries to his head after an apparent beating. Bergin’s father, Vernell Day, 37, was charged with one count of second-degree murder in his son’s death. He pleaded not guilty.
- 45 SEPT. 5: Hancy Sanchez, 24, was shot to death during a robbery outside his apartment at the corner of Staring Lane and Bayou Fountain Avenue. On Jan. 21, a grand jury indicted James Fitzgerald Mills Jr. and Jordan Derrell Harris, both 18 and from Baton Rouge, with one count each of second-degree murder in Sanchez’s death.
- 46 SEPT. 27: Lekeisha Duncan, 32, was stabbed to death by her boyfriend during an argument at her Courtland Circle home, police said. William Lee Jackson, 41, was booked into Parish Prison on counts of second-degree murder and obstruction of justice, police said. After Jackson’s bail was reduced from $600,000 to $75,000 in December, he posted bail and was released, court records show.
- 47 SEPT. 27: Johnny Price, 23, was fatally shot while stopped on the side of the road on St. Gerard Avenue. Price pulled over after realizing all of the lug nuts were missing on one of the tires on his vehicle. When he was replacing the missing pieces, according to police, Albert Henry Youngblood walked up and shot Price in the head. Police arrested Youngblood on a count of second-degree murder, and he’s being held at the Parish Prison in lieu of at least $260,000 bail, court records show.
- 48 OCT. 1: Marquis Latrelle Wyatt, 23, of Baton Rouge, was fatally shot on Cannon Street at about 10 p.m. No arrest has been made.
- 49 OCT. 13: Calvin Chrisentary, 21, was fatally shot in the back outside a Madison Avenue home. Police said the shooting stemmed from a robbery. Hardy D. Allen, 22, was identified by police as the shooter and booked into Parish Prison on counts of first-degree murder and illegal use of a weapon. No charges have been filed.
- 50 OCT. 28: Marvin Lewis, 17, was fatally shot on North 49th Street while attempting to rob someone else during a drug deal, according to police. The authorities said Jarvis Dawson, 21, and Larry Scott Jr., 18, both of Rosedale, accompanied Lewis during the attempted robbery. Scott also was shot, but he survived. Dawson and Scott were arrested on counts of armed robbery and second-degree murder. The shooter was not arrested. No charges have been filed.
- 51 NOV. 8: Jeremy Costley, 24, of Baton Rouge, was shot near Plank Road and later died at a hospital. No arrest has been made.
- 52 NOV. 15: Eric Kinchen, 32, was fatally shot at a Port Drive home at about 10 a.m. Sheriff’s deputies arrested Marcus Deandera Dominique, 23, of Baton Rouge, on counts of second-degree murder and illegal use of a weapon. No charges have been filed.
- 53 NOV. 16: Juan Joseph, a 27-year-old high school football coach at West St. John High School and former standout quarterback at Millsaps College, was fatally shot in the parking lot of Club Allure while trying to settle an argument between two groups of people. Police identified Kendric Letrell Cloud, 25, as the shooter, and his cousin, Lemark Dejohn Cloud, 25, as the getaway driver. No charges have been filed against Kendric Cloud, but he remains jailed in lieu of $500,000 bail on counts of second-degree murder, illegal use of a weapon and felon in possession of a firearm. Kendric Cloud’s family members protested outside City Hall after his arrest, saying he’s innocent. On Jan. 21, Lemark Cloud was charged with counts of accessory after the fact to second-degree murder, felon in possession of a firearm and obstruction of justice.
- 54,55 NOV. 23: Lester Reed, 32, and Tevin Crump, 19, killed each other in a drunken argument in the front yard of a Washington Court Avenue home. Reed stabbed Crump, who then shot Reed while the knife was still in Crump’s chest. Both fell down near each other and died shortly afterward. Family members of the men said Crump dated Reed’s sister, and the argument was about Crump’s treatment of her.
- 56 NOV. 30: Cornell Cummings, 36, was found shot multiple times on West Johnson Street on Sept. 23. Cummings died in a nursing home two months later. No arrest has been made.
57 DEC. 4: Ivan Molina, 38, was shot multiple times on his front porch at about 11 p.m. and later died at a hospital. Deputies arrested two people in the shooting: Byron Maxson and Troy Carter, Jr., both 26 and from Baton Rouge. Both men were arrested on counts of second-degree murder and illegal use of a weapon. No charges have been filed.
58 DEC. 12: Roderick Carolina, 34, was found fatally shot in his apartment near Alaska and West Grant streets at about 3:30 p.m. Police identified Tyronn Collins, 21, as a suspect in the shooting. He has not been found yet.
59 DEC. 13: Reginald Joseph, 32, died after being shot multiple times while driving in the 100 block of North 18th Street at about 12:30 a.m. No arrest has been made.
60 DEC. 16: Braden Larvadain, 35, was found shot multiple times in a parking lot on North Foster Drive. No arrest has been made.
61 DEC. 18: Christian Allen, 22, was found shot in the road in the 2600 block of Citadel Drive after a possible robbery attempt, police said. No arrest has been made.
62 DEC 23: Derrell Marquis Haynes, 19, was shot in the chest after a drug deal turned sour in a Piggly Wiggly parking lot on Choctaw Drive at about 7:30 p.m. Police named Aljerard Warner, 22, as a suspect but have not yet arrested him.
63 D EC. 29: Da’Laijah Smith, 2, was killed after her mother shoved her against a shower wall in their Beechwood Drive home, according to police. Police said evidence showed it wasn’t the only time the mother abused Da’Laijah. Her mother, Candice Shanee Smith, 21, was arrested on a count of first-degree murder. No charges have been filed.
Other notable deaths
Other notable deaths, including killings ruled justified and vehicular homicides.
- 1 JAN. 19: Kortlon Trevon Johnson, 19, of Baton Rouge, was fatally shot in a drug deal gone bad at a Daniels Street home in Baker. Kenard Maurice Gaines, 18, was arrested on a count of second-degree murder in Johnson’s death. In April, a grand jury declined to indict Gaines in the killing, returning a “no true bill.” The shooting was deemed justifiable by authorities.
- 2 JAN. 20: Elvin Dunn Jr., 37, of Baton Rouge, was killed after being ejected from his Lincoln Town Car at Fairfields Avenue and North 30th Street. The car that crashed into him, a Ford Crown Victoria, was being pursued by police at the time of the crash because it had no license plate. The driver of the Ford, Brian White, 20, was charged with counts of manslaughter, aggravated flight from an officer and hit-and-run causing death or serious injury. He also was charged with armed robbery because he is accused of robbing someone of a cellphone earlier in the day prior to the crash. White pleaded not guilty to all counts, and the case is pending.
- 3 FEB. 27: Guy Camden Koontz Jr., 42, was found dead inside his Capital Heights home after overdosing on heroin. Police arrested Marc Roussel, 33, of Baton Rouge, on a count of second-degree murder after he admitted to investigators that he injected Koontz with the heroin. A grand jury decided not to indict Roussel on charges of second-degree murder or manslaughter and instead indicted him with counts of possession of heroin and possession with the intent to distribute heroin.
- 4 MARCH 30: Johnny Galmon, 27, and Kandace Cox, 19, both of Baton Rouge, died after the vehicle they were riding in was rear-ended on the Mississippi River bridge. Police arrested the driver of the car that rear-ended them, Dedrick Deon Matthews, 39, on suspicion of drunk driving. Matthews was charged with two counts each of vehicular homicide and first-degree negligent injuring.
- 5 APRIL 15: Jerry Gray, 52, was shot to death in his father’s driveway by the son of his father’s girlfriend, Eugene Cross, who is in his 50s and from Texas. Cross told authorities he shot Gray in self-defense. Cross told his mother that Gray pulled a knife on him prior to the shooting. No arrest was made, and the shooting was deemed justifiable.
- 6 JULY 11: Darius Markie Fisher, 23, of Baton Rouge, was found dead, apparently struck by a vehicle, in the 3300 block of East Brookstown Drive. Police said it appeared that Fisher was struck by one vehicle that fled the scene before another vehicle ran into him on the road and alerted authorities. No arrest has been made.
- 7 JULY 19: Carl Joseph James Jr., 27, of Maringouin, was accidentally shot by Tyrell King, 21, of Baton Rouge, while the two were stopped at a traffic light in a vehicle on Scotland Avenue, police said. King was attempting to unload the gun when it discharged, causing a bullet to fatally strike James in the back. King was charged in September with one count of negligent homicide. The case is pending.
- 8 JULY 26: Reedus McAllister, 39, was fatally shot inside his Central home. Sheriff’s deputies said McAllister’s fiancée shot the man in self-defense after he tried to attack her. All signs pointed to a justifiable killing, the Sheriff’s Office said.
- 9 AUG. 23: Gary Andrus, 51, of Baton Rouge, was shot during an argument with a homeowner on Tecumseh Street. The homeowner, who wasn’t identified by police, told investigators that Andrus raised a cane to him, leading the homeowner to reach for a gun. The gun discharged and fatally struck Andrus, the homeowner told police. The shooting was deemed justified.
- 10 AUG. 28: Laquincia Wilkerson, 19, was fatally shot by her ex-boyfriend in what Baker police classified as a self-defense killing. Charmaine C. Wilson, 17 at the time, told police he arrived at Wilkerson’s Heath Drive home to sell a marijuana cigar. Wilson and Wilkerson then got into an argument, which led them to point guns at each other, Wilson told police. At some point, he fired his weapon, striking her multiple times.
- 11 SEPT. 29: Bessie Looney, 82, was found dead inside her North Acadian Thruway West home, living in horrid conditions and apparently neglected by her caretakers, police said. Bessie’s daughter, 53-year-old Joleslie Looney, and granddaughter, 18-year-old Lauren Looney, were indicted in December with one count each of manslaughter. Both women pleaded not guilty.
- 12 D EC. 5: James Boyette, 36, of Baton Rouge, died after being shot multiple times while breaking into a Broadmoor neighborhood home. A resident of the Woodhaven Street home, a 46-year-old man, shot Boyette after finding him ransacking one of the home’s bedrooms, police said. The shooting was deemed justifiable.
Compiled by Ben Wallace and Daniel Bethencourt