Two pet cats and a bird were killed in a Thursday morning house fire, in which the six human residents and a third cat escaped injury, Central Fire Department officials said.

The ringing of smoke detectors woke up the sleeping family around 2:30 a.m. at their home in the 10900 block of Ridge Road, Fire Department officials said in a Facebook post. The two adults and four children were able to escape as the kitchen fire quickly spread.

Firefighters were able to rescue and administer oxygen to one cat, but two other cats and a bird did not survive, according to the post. The blaze was contained in the kitchen but the rest of the house has smoke damage.

After a series of house fires claimed the lives of several people in the Baton Rouge area last month, fire department and local government officials stressed the importance of working smoke detectors. Central Fire Department officials pointed to the Tuesday blaze as an example of that.

"It is very likely some or all of these occupants may not have awakened in time to safely escape this fire had the smoke detectors not alerted them," department officials wrote in the Facebook post.

Compiled from staff reports. To contact a crime reporter at The Advocate, email policereporters@theadvocate.com or call (225) 388-0369.